Jet Black Do I?

Decorating By hwnhulahands Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 5:45am by milissasmom

hwnhulahands Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 8

How, if possible, can I make jet black gumpaste? I'm making gumpaste from scratch and need to make gumpaste shoes in the colors black and white. Is this even possible?

7 replies
agroeve Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

i won't make black fondant at all as i find it tastes really nasty, i buy the ready made fondant and add gum tragacanth to it for gumpaste

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 8

When making your gumpaste add the color as you are mixing. There is glycerin in gel colors, so keep this in mind. It will take a large amount of black color to get black gumpaste.

If you use Nick Lodge's recipe, it works well. He makes black gumpaste for his classes all the time.

Even gumpaste made by adding tylose to fondant can be made black. It's easier to color the fondant first and then add the tylose. If you have plastic gloves, use them. If not, shortening on your hands will reduce the color transfer. Amazingly, window wipes are great for cleaning colors off of your hands.

CelebrationCakery Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 8

I would color it brown first and then add in the black...but something I did on one of my cakes just to be sure the black was black...I did airbrush it black...if you have one maybe that is an option too...

acookieobsession Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 8

I use nicolas lodges gumpaste recipe and make it black all the time. I use Americolor and jsut add until it gets the right color. You might want to add a bit, then wait to see if it lightens. i normally notice when it lightens as I knead it.

tonedna Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 8

I use Nicolas odge too.. And I saw him using americolor. Basically add black until it reaches the color.. Is a lot...dont dispair. Even when making brown you need a lot of color!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bitofsnshn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #7 of 8

In a class i took the teacher replaced some water with a portion of black airbrush liquid mixed together and then added the liquid to the rest of the gumpaste recipe in the mixer. He stated it saved time and would give a true black vs the grayish blacks produced when blending by hand.

milissasmom Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:45am
post #8 of 8

I usually add Tylose to my Black Satin Ice fondant and use it as I would gumpaste. Works like a charm...don't have to bother with the bitterness at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%