Edited: Critique Sub-Group & All Cc Family Members

Decorating By C-Lady Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm by tonedna

C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 17

Please give me your honest opinions on this practice dummy. I really need help trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I'm so open to all suggestions.

Sorry, the attachment looks very blurry.
LL

16 replies
kakedecorator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 17

I think it looks great, the only thing I would do differently is to use a more elegant scroll work on the sides of the bottom tier. Hope this helps.

Melvira Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 17

The overall look is very appealing! The flower topper is unique and interesting. The only thing I would change, (and it could just be the angle of the picture, or perhaps it was done on purpose) the lines onthe top tier seem a little crooked. Like your diamond shapes aren't quite square. One thing I do to help that is sometimes pre-mark them before piping! Use something straight like a ruler and just lightly tap the icing to leave a light impression, then follow that line. If it's just the angle of the pic, then I apologize. As I said, the overall look is very pretty!

joaaaann Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 17

It's pretty..I especially like the lower border pattern. If I have to 'critique' something, it would be the diamond shapes because they are leaning and I think I would prefer a different color scheme. Maybe a peach base with the brown and copper accents?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 17

Both my comments were already addressed by Melvira and kakedecorator. I would say a little more detail on the bottom tier with the scrollwork and your diamond shapes seem to be a bit slanted (though evenly done). I would probably make them straighter.

All in all, well done and a very pretty design/cake/dummy.

TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 17

I agree with the postings, it's elegant and unique, just a little more polish on the finishing touches but that comes from experience.

Oh, and I know it's my eyes, but the heads of your scroll work appear to be too tightly rolled where they look like male fertility thingies. lol

Can I say ? lol

Unless that was the look you wanted.

LMAO in a good way!

fondantgrl Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 17

I think it would look better without the scrolling.. The cake is well done.. To me the colors are too dark, unless the person that wanted that cake was very specific about the color. thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 17

I think it is very pretty. I think maybe I might like it better with a little less. Like maybe the sides of the cake just plain or with simpler details. I sort of think of sperm when I look at the scrolls on the bottom...sorry. But I really like the flower on top and you cake looks very professional and elegant.

tiptop57 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 17

Critique Subgroup Member responding......
As our group looks at the following nine items when critiquing, I will be happy to comment using these guidelines and will take my critique offline in a personal PM for you. icon_wink.gif

Critique Subgroup Guidelines:

1.) Creativity (original design or clever adaptation of another idea) is interesting and pleasing. What might work better.
2.) Clean not cluttered or overdone, neat and skillful.
3.) Suitable degree of difficulty for skill level. Are you pushing yourself.
4.) Proper use of tips i.e. control, pressure and technique.
5.) Color choice and use, mixed well without streaking, compliments the design.
6.) Smooth coat without crumbs.
7.) Attention to details.
8.) Attention to cake board.
9.) Overall appearance.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 17

I think the flower is beautiful. Your lattice work is a bit sideways.. I think whats going on with the scrolls is more the fact that it doesnt get a along with the rest of the design. The cake has this lines and the curls in the scrolls distract a little from them.
Maybe another type of scroll with less curl would work better.
I love the lattice with the flowers.Is a nice detail and I love the borders.. I like to the way the flower lays on top of the beads. I think that with that much detail I might have done in a lighter color in the dark one or use some color on the base instead of white..
After I said all this..I think your work is wonderful. Is only about details. thumbs_up.gif ...Of course the is just my opinon!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 17

TheButterWench I'm dying over here because that's what they looked like to me too or worms after it rains. LOL

I'm loving the criticism because I agree with each and every one of you. You've confirmed my thoughts on some things and pointed out some things I hadn't noticed. I'll remember everything said for the next one.

Thanks for the honesty. icon_smile.gif

Anybody else out there who wants to comment, go right ahead, I can take it. icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 17

C- lady...I love when someone accepts criticsm like that.. Is not about hurting feelings..Is about making us better..Anyone can go to my cakes a tell me what is wrong with them anytime..icon_biggrin.gif
Edna

C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 17

Ok tiptop57 I'm coming for your in a second.

Merissa, I'm cracking up again LOL!!! they do look like little spermies. icon_biggrin.gif

Those worms worn't supposed to be there, they were supposed to be a nice, elegant scrol type of pattern, but I was having a hard time holding that little piece of fondant in my hand without smashing it. Then when I did get it on the cake, it was in the wrong place and when I tried to take it off, I had a big black mark on the cake, and I didn't know what to do. That's how the fertility sperm worms came to be.

At least I'm somewhat thinking on the lines of my more experienced fellow CCers because It looked off to me too. Hopefully, and soon, I'll get better at this thing. icon_smile.gif

C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 17

I love to hear it all, good bad or indifferent. I just can't thank the people here enought for being able to bash me like this, how else am I going to learn?

I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!

TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 17

Tee hee, I didn't want to get booted off for saying, ya know? but I absolutely love the flower and the bottom decor.

Do you have close ups of those? I would love to see them.

and hey..no one is bashing you! ya silly girl. lol

C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:40pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you for liking my flower. I kind of liked that too; I thought it was a little different (trying to work the creative corner of my mind). I'll put a close up in my pics.

I'm just kidding when I said bash. I want so desperately to get better at this. I respect and appreciate anything you guys can say to help me reach my goal, and I sincerely mean that.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 17

I say to my students... practice, practice , practice..
And I am with you...I love the flower!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%