Pricing A Cupcake Wedding Cake

Decorating By SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm by ChefAngie

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 21

Help! I just gota request for a cupcake rehersal dinner display. I was just wondering what people out there charge for cupcakes and if they want it to serve 50 people would I make 1 per person? Any ideas would be wonderful! Thanks

20 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 21

I would say yes on the one per person......if they think they're going to want more then that's up to them to order more. Don't do it for less than a dollar each and be sure and get a deposit/charge for whatever display you use.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 21

I totaly agree, no less than $1/cupcake. 1 cupcake is considered one serving, so be sure to alert your customer of taht...they might want to order more than 50. icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 21

I just completed a cupcake wedding cake March 1st. I charged $1.80 per cupcake (each had a fondant Duff rose and leaf), $35 for stand rental and $20 to cover the cost of containers to transport them to the location (I ordered the plastic containers like they have at the supermarket).

I threw in the 6 inch topper cake as a gift to the couple. There were 216 in all. Picture in my photos.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 21

I agree with KHalstead! One per person, as with cake servings, unless they want to provide more for those who want seconds.

And don't sell yourself short on your pricing. I haven't sold any cupcakes yet, but I know when I do I'm going to squirm a little about pricing at first, which IS silly, because of the work that goes into cupcakes as individual cakes. They aren't just what mom used to slap together when we were kids. And I like cupcakes more with every new one I see online and each batch I make.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 21

I'm a cupcake junkie icon_smile.gif

A couple things I would consider:

$1 is way too cheap for one, unless you're doing cake mix with just a swirl of crisco-based frosting. By the time you figure in baking time, decorating time, cost of boxes to safely transport them in...there's no profit. For example, I know that a batch of my all-butter Belgian chocolate buttercream that frosts about 2 dozen cupcakes (albeit generously) costs me about $7 to make just for ingredients. Ouch.

Most recipes make 24 cupcakes (or 12 for a half recipe). You may want to require that they purchase them by the dozen so that you aren't making extra batter that you don't use. After all, if a cake served 16...but they only want 11 servings...they'd still have to buy the cake that served 16. Let them decide how many over/under their target number that they want to order.

Specialty cupcake boxes to transport them are pricey. You can use sheet cake boxes (put down a cake board to give the box more stability), but you run the risk of them falling over or bumping into each other.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 21

I agree with HerBoudoir. And I'll be keeping all she said in mind. I really do want to branch into selling cupcakes. A minimum order for cupcakes is a wise move, I think. I don't need a lot of left-overs. I don't do cake balls. Also you HAVE to factor in the time, ingredients, etc etc you're spending, even if it's "just cupcakes". And I know that's how some people look at it. But it's cupcakes THEY aren't willing/able to make themselves, whatever the reason.

I live 12 miles outside of town and I'm not driving 24 miles round trip in my Expedition to deliver 6 $1.00 cupcakes.

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 21

Thanks for your help. I was thinking like $1.50. I only do from scratch cakes....and I don't know what flavor the want yet. I have done one before but it was for free for a really good friend's wedding. I already have the "stand" that I would use. I bought several different sized round glass circles and stacked them with whisky glasses between. It was really sturdy and looked nice. But for that one I had a 6 inch cake on top with flowers and flowers here and there around and inbetween the cupcakes. I hate to think how much I sunk in to that one. But I did get this order because of a picture that the reception hall had of the first free cake I made!!

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 21

i have booked a cupcake wedding for this october and charged $2.50 a cupcake, the same as a serving of buttercream. there are going to be 150 cupcakes and a 6" round with each cupcake having a decorative flower accent. with taxes and delivery it came to about $450 and i've already deposited a deposit for $212! charge more!

mommyinaprilx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyinaprilx2 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 21

I would charge no less thatn $1.50 per cupcake and maybe even $2.00 each.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #11 of 21

A cupcake is a serving and they can be more work (50 roses to decorate 50 cupcakes instead of 6 or 12 rose for a regular cake). My serving price is $3. If they don't want to pay that, I'll happily point to walmart that is just 3 minutes down the road.

joeskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeskitty Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 21

I have a question for you ladies who have done wedding cupcakes before. Im doing a wedding and there will be 5 different flavors. Ranging from lemon with raspberry filling with fondant flowers, banana chocolate walnut, 2 of them with fresh strawberrys in the cupcake its self and chocolate covered strawberrys on top, and a coffee with baileys frosting. About 230-250 with a 8inch round lemon/raspberry cake and chocolate covered strawberries all around. Between all the garnishments and time for hand picking the strawberries. doing the chocolate covered strawberries do you guys think $1.25-$1.50 per cupcake is worth all the work?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 21

nope..I would jump the cupcakes up to at least $2.00 each.There is a cupcake shop here that jsut serves gourmet cupcakes and they charge $2.65 a cupcake and all it has on it is a swirled icing...Don't under estimate your time and money it costs!!

Sherry13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry13 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 21

I agree with mom42ws and indydebi. I wouldn't charge less then $2.50 a cupcake. No I don't think you should do all those flavors and work for $1.25-1.50!! Like indydebi said let them go to Wal-mart for that price.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #15 of 21

To joeskitty: *ahem* NO.

icon_biggrin.gif

All the different flavors and whatnot, I'd DEFINITELY charge more! But good luck with that! They sound SCRUMPTIOUS!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #16 of 21

I charge $2.25 JUST for the chocolate covered strawberry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeskitty

Between all the garnishments and time for hand picking the strawberries. doing the chocolate covered strawberries do you guys think $1.25-$1.50 per cupcake is worth all the work?

Not even close to enough.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:37pm
post #18 of 21

Not to hijack or anything - but how large your cupcakes? I have a wedding coming up and I am charge $3 per cupcake (IMBC and maybe a small fondant cutout or seomthing) and DH thinks they are too small. I'm just using standard cupcake liners, they just barely come over the top, because I want the frosting to be as level as possible.

I do agree, it does look small - but deep down I think my pricing is okay. Just need a boost in my confidence! LOL!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #19 of 21

I use standard cupcakes.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #20 of 21

I did a cupcake wedding this weekend, 50 cupcakes with a 6" topper. Each cupcake had a cutout fondant flower (no work really, just a small added cost)... It came to $201.45

It's really easy to underestimate the amount of buttercream that goes on top of cupcakes, and the time to individually do each cupcake... And delivery and setup takes longer than your average drop off cake.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #21 of 21

Remember cupcakes are an individual dessert.
These require more labor,time, special packaging( no falling over).
If you are doing different flavors cake and icing-these need to be scaled so you don't have a lot left over.

Everytime gas goes up the cost of ingredients goes up.

LOW END 2.25 each

My cupcakes start at 2.85 and goes as high as 3.50.

HAPPY BAKING AND DECORATING,
Chef Angie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%