Cake Shreds And Crumbles When Frosted!!!

Decorating By JaZmeen17 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm by Ellistwins

JaZmeen17 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:35am
post #1 of 6

I have to make a heart shaped cake, but when if I try to cut it into the right shape--- it just falls apart! icon_sad.gif Sorry, yes I am very new to this... but making cakes is my dream! icon_lol.gif Is there anything I can add to my cake so that I can cut it into any shape and still frost/fondant it? Is there a type of more-durable cake that everyone uses that I don't know about?

5 replies
loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:22am
post #2 of 6

Are you using a cake mix or is it from scratch? I dont think you can carve a cake mix, they are too soft.

What also might make it easier is to refrigerate or freeze your cake. A cold cake is easier to carve. Also use a very sharp, clean knife.

I also found it easier to frost a cake with "raw edges" if the knife is very clean and warm. Dip the knife in hot water and then wipe clean before you touch your frosting.

Good luck!

(PS THey do make heart shaped pans too. icon_biggrin.gif )

JaZmeen17 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, you have been very helpful. I thought about buying a heart-shaped pan, but there are many other shapes I'll need to make in the future and I don't have the time/money to buy all the different pans. But thanks for the info. icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:05am
post #4 of 6

If your cake is shredding and/or crumbling during frosting - your frosting can be to blame.

If applying a crumb coat, your frosting should be on the thin side. When doing the final coat, your frosting should be of medium consistency.

Trying to apply a stiff consistency frosting will pull bits of the cake off (when you lift the blade from the cake surface).

HTH

leily Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #5 of 6

I use cake mixes and carve cakes all the time. It is a lot easier though to carve/cut a frozen cake than it is one at room temperature, it keeps the crumbs to a minimum, then I do a crumbcoat over the cut areas before doing the final icing.

Ellistwins Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I use cake mixes and carve cakes all the time. It is a lot easier though to carve/cut a frozen cake than it is one at room temperature, it keeps the crumbs to a minimum, then I do a crumbcoat over the cut areas before doing the final icing.

I agree, i've also carve all sorts of cakes and it work better frozen or chilled. An oil based cake carves better too.

Good luck, and for the lots of pans, I agree, I don't even have the space for my small collection. But you can hire it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%