Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:52am
post #1 of 18

Ok, so I have a wedding cake coming up in late may, and she is wanting deep red roses around the bases of the cakes. I cant make roses. Don't know how. So I am left with ordering them online. I am needing about 50 2" roses to cover what she wants done. I am trying to find the best prices online. I have found some good prices at Pfeil & Holing. I can get 72 roses for 41.00 plus shipping, but I don't know if you need to be a business to order from them? Also, does anyone know of a place online where I could possibly buy very few roses just to make sure the color is right .. the bride said .. deep red, not bright red, and I said like burgundy? and she said yeah kinda .. a deep red ... know what I mean ... LOL .. I would hate to pay that much for these roses and just have them be the wrong color.

17 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:31am
post #2 of 18

Sorry I cant help with the odering! I normally make my own, but if you do order and they are a bit off color, it should be very easy to dust them a little darker.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:42am
post #3 of 18

If you bought the 72 in red and they aren't the right shade, if they're gumpaste, you can darken them....just a thought.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:39am
post #4 of 18

Another idea might be to use silk roses instead of gumpaste, if the bride would go for that. That way she'd be able to pick them out and get exactly the right color.

TheCakerator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 18

thanks you guys .. how do you go about darkening gumpaste roses? I don't think she is going to want silk flowers, she picked out this cake design based on these flowers icon_eek.gif Now I have to do my part and get them on there for her! Does anyone on cake central make roses to sell?

TheCakerator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 18

anyone?

rebekahjohnson81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebekahjohnson81 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 18

i know that sugarcraft.com makes pre-made gumpaste flowers you can buy, all kinds including roses in different sizes and colors ... also CakesbySam.com does them too ...

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21973&category_id=273

see if they can help. icon_smile.gif good luck!

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 18

huh. why did they block where i mentioned Sugarcraft? here's a link. http://www.sugarcraft.com/

TheCakerator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 18

I know why it was blocked, it's because they havent been very nice to lots of people on here .... so I wasn't really wanting to buy from them but thanks for the help!!

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #10 of 18

ohhh i see. well that's good to know!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 18

You can airbrush the roses to a deeper red.. or dust them with a deeper color..

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 18

yes very easy to dust them a bit darker if needed. Sometimes just a light flick with your dusting brush can make all the difference.
I made my sugar roses in a red paste, then dusted them with a mix of burgundy and aubergine (just to get the darker bit in the middle).

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I have found some good prices at Pfeil & Holing. I can get 72 roses for 41.00 plus shipping, but I don't know if you need to be a business to order from them?

I have ordered from them before, but not in a few months.. They had a $50 minimum order, but I would check to see if that has changed...

TheCakerator Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 18

janbabe, what did you use to darken your flowers? luster dust? Cakesbylj, thanks for the info! I will check it out .. I didnt know if you had to have a company business to order from them or not ...

janbabe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:31am
post #15 of 18

yes, I just dusted over with burgundy first, then mixed a little of the two colours together and did another dust. This gves the tinge of darker colour without all the hassle of trying to get paste that dark.

The roses I did were on my 50th anniversary cake where i did a spray of dark red roses.

TheCakerator Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 18

thanks janbabe! I looked at your flowers and they look dark to me .. did they start out a bright red? or did they start out a dark red and then you dusted them? I fear I am going to have to order bright red flowers as there really is no other option online ... I am nervous that the luster dust wouldnt get down into the crevasses of the rose and it would look funny .. was it pretty easy to do? Thanks again!!

janbabe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 18

they were kind of medium red I suppose, but you should have no probs dusting them. If your roses are quite a bright red, try dusting them with ruby first, then a burgundy and see how you go.
It will take a bit of time to start with if you have a lot to do, but you soon get the hang of it.

You will see the difference really quickly once you start dusting and you will know whether to mix two dusts together to get the look you want.
I darkened my roses off with a mix of burgundy and aubergine cos I wanted them really deep, but try maybe a ruby then burgundy, or straight to a burgundy and see how it goes.
Hope this helps a bit and I've explained it ok!!!!!

TheCakerator Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #18 of 18

no you explained it just right ... does it take lots of luster dust? I am trying to cover fifty of them ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%