Is $3.00 Too Much

Decorating By bambuf Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm by SugarBakerz

bambuf Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 25

to charge for a 3 X 3 mini cake like this one?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204960

I had a friend ask me to make some of these for a baby shower she is hosting this weekend. I made one up last weekend to show her. SHe liked the design and the cake, but when she found out I was asking $3 a cake she asked me to make cupcakes instead. icon_sad.gif I have to say, I am kind of bummed. A lot of time and work goes in to making those cakes, and I personally would pay a lot more for mini cakes like that...Am I nuts?

24 replies
Sweet-Dreams Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 25

Okay, before I respond I'd like to post a disclaimer that I don't sell any cakes yet!

I completely think you're UNDER charging her! I don't think $3 is enough for all that work! Those cakes would take much longer to do than one larger one. Don't sell yourself short! That woman could have gotten a great deal at $3 each!!

loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:00am
post #3 of 25

I agree, I would charge 5-7 bucks each for them. They are a TON of work!

lomikesa Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #4 of 25

I agree also, I would charge from $3 to $5

Lomikesa

t00precious Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #5 of 25

I AGREE! That is a lot of work. I am not really in to cakes but do cookies.

KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 25

I agree..........and just for the record....I've made some mini cakes that sold for $20.00 a piece at an auction (in my photos, all the ones with a diet coke can) and nobody batted an eye.......but you tell someone wanting them for 150 guests at a wedding that they're 20.00/each and watch their eyes pop out of their heads!!! NO WAY would I do THAT cake for LESS than $5.00/each and I live in a teeny tiny town.........tell her you'll do cupcakes with fondant on top and the little clothes for 2.50/each LOL

costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 25

There's no way I'd do those for less than $15 each, so she's just being unrealistic (i.e.cheap). Those are a ton of work, and it's aggravating to cover those little cakes in icing and fondant to begin with, let alone make little decorations for them. If you did them for $3 each you'd be making 50 cents an hour after the cost of your ingredients!

HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 25

See, I'd charge $3/cupcake with no problem LOL

Folks have no idea the time/cost/etc.

springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #9 of 25

No I dont think it is too much at all! I am sure they are more time consuming than one big cake. Which you might charge $3 a serving anyway. However, if your friend doesnt want to pay that much...then she doesnt want to pay that much. You dont have to do it for less, but she doesnt have to have those cakes either.

Prudence Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 25

I don't think yo are asking too much either! They are a lot of work. I charge $3 per cupcake. icon_mad.gif

bambuf Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 25

Thanks everyone. I figured that $3 a cake was pretty darned cheap for the kind of effort they entail. I realize that a budget is a budget, but can't help but feel like she doesn't value my time very much. Getting over it, though! icon_smile.gif

mbh724 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 25

bambuf - Don't feel like your time isn't being valued because people that don't do this have no idea how much time is really involved. You did a beautiful job and $3 is a bargain.

HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuf

Thanks everyone. I figured that $3 a cake was pretty darned cheap for the kind of effort they entail. I realize that a budget is a budget, but can't help but feel like she doesn't value my time very much. Getting over it, though! icon_smile.gif

Most likely that's not in her budget, and she doesn't understand the amount of work involved. You may want to explain to her how much time it takes to make them.

Ask her what her budget is, and if it's realistic, give her an option or two of what you could do for that cost. If her budget is NOT realistic, there's always grocery store cake.

Hookste Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 25

Yes, you are undercharging. I am guilty of that myself. The people that understand my prices the most are the ones that attempted some type of a cake class and couldn't believe that amount of work that it takes. Maybe sign her up as a gift. LOL

bambuf Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 25

LOL! Hookste,

Funny you should mention classes. She took Course 1 from me last summer and decided it was too much work to continue classes!

cblupe Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #16 of 25

I would charge the following:

1 layer - $5.00
2 layers - $10.00
3 layers - $15.00

IMO,
Carol

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #17 of 25

Very cute...definately don't charge just $3.00. I think that is way too low.

pinktea Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #18 of 25

I think that is quite a bargain. I just paid 2.00 for a small plain iced cupcake at lunch.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 25

Wow ! Thats a bargain! I wouldnt charge under $5.00 . And that still seems cheap to me ! Small cakes/decor can take so long and be a pita to !

lovetofrost Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:40pm
post #20 of 25

Well how much was she planning on paying for cupcakes. That sounds a little under priced to me. But, I am new to the business.

bambuf Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:45pm
post #21 of 25

She is paying $1.50 a piece for the cupcakes. Another bargain, if you ask me!

alanahodgson Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #22 of 25

I bet its not that she doesn't value your time. I bet it's just not in her budget. She really had no clue when she asked you to do those how much time it would take. She's not asking you to do them for less, is she? Don't take it personally. I did some minis this weekend and wanted to blow my brains out. It was only 5 of them and I'd guess I spent at least 5-7 hours decorating them. They were for my daughter's birthday so I sucked it up and did it, but I don't think I'd be doing them for less than $5-$10 each next time. I'm not into slave labor.

fiddlesticks Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #23 of 25

What decor are you putting on the cupcakes ? If your adding mini p j,s I would have told her its still $3.00! Then for sure up,d the mini cakes to $5/$7 ! And said its you or Walmart ! She doesnt think much of you putting in all that time, So I wouldnt worry about charging her enough to make at least a little profit!

bambuf Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:22pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks for all of the reassurances. I know that I undercharge for most every thing I make, but I do it because I enjoy it. I just don't want to feel like I am being taken advantage of all of the time, though. Does that make sense?

SugarBakerz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #25 of 25

the great american cookie company charges $1.99 a piece plus tax for their little cupcakes.... and to be honest and they don't look great. I say at least $6 a piece on your mini cakes... if they are fondant all over, bump it up to $8.... JMO icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%