Handle/spout On Teapot

Decorating By preseliz Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm by preseliz

preseliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preseliz Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 14

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to get a fondant (MMF)handle/spout to stay attached to a teapot cake? I was assuming using some toothpicks to stick in them and then let them dry and then attach to the cakes. Any thoughts?

I'm a newbie so if there are better ways to do this, let me know!!

Thanks,
Jamie

13 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:19am
post #2 of 14

Toothpicks or even a bamboo skewer, the longer it is the less chance it will fall back out of your cake. Be sure to install the stick into your fondant before letting the fondant dry, or else you won't be able to bore a hole w/out risking breaking your fondant piece! May sound obvious but when I was a newbie I learned this the hard way icon_rolleyes.gif

For the spout I'd even use two skewers, one at the diagonal, one horizontal, so the spout doesn't just spiral around on the pick.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #3 of 14

I do as Ceshell does... except I tend to put some gum glue on the toothpick before I insert the stick into the piece. It dries and sticks to everything (I glued my paintbrush to the counter UGHH)

Another thing... make sure you turn your piece at least twice a day so each side can dry.. I have layed my piece on something to dry and not turned it over... the other side didn't get any air which caused it to turn soft on both sides later icon_sad.gif ...

Also when you attach the spout and handle to the cake (if you are using fondant on the cake itself) paint on a little gumglue on the part of the spout and handle that will be touching the cake and that will help hold it into place... you can kind of support it by placing something underneath it till it dries...

HTH's

Christi

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:10am
post #4 of 14

Ok, I may just be ignorant, but what is gum glue? icon_redface.gif

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:12am
post #5 of 14

ditto waht they say!!

I just finished my 3rd teapot and learned alot from the first 2!! I definitely agree that a bamboo skewer works better than toothpicks== stability... and i use more gumpaste less fondant it seems to be lighter and dries quicker. And I never thought about rotating them! duh... I just use the foam paper that craft stores sell and lay it on that then cover it up with another sheet. That way it dries both sides at same time. I also learned that if you can incorporate a piece of fondant onto the teapot where you will be inserting the skewers it gives a little extra sturdiness for the handle and spout. In my photos the turqouise teapot I did this and dint have any problems with drivng across town with them in the cake... the other 2 I did... yea no driving aloud while attached!! hee hee... Good luck and post a pic!!

HTH, Kim

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:22am
post #6 of 14

yummymummy it is a mix of tylose powder and water icon_smile.gif just a small amt of tylose (I think it is 1/8 of a tsp to 3 tsp water.)

yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks! So is this the same "glue" I would use for making gum paste roses? I just got my first 5 petal cutter and it talks about glue in the directions.

Sorry, I sort of high jacked this thread! icon_redface.gif Many apologies!

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 14

Yes same glue icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 14

This isnt a tea pot cake, but it is a watering can cake that I just made. Pretty much the same idea anyway. Can I tell you how I agonized over those same details????? icon_lol.gif

Anyway, just stuck the handle on with royal icing and to my surprise, it stayed just fine. I was worried! It was flat though. I made it out of gumpaste and let it dry up.

For the spout I wrapped the gumpaste around a dowel (sharpened at the end). The spout could actually move up and down on the dowel, so depending on how deep the dowel went in, the spout moved to accomdate. does that make sense? I put a cakeboard between layers and drove the dowel through the cake board and into the base. It stayed just fine. I dont know if that would work for your teapot cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1202805

yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks!!!

preseliz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot.

I wasn't sure what gum glue was either so thanks for the info. And do I have to by tylose powder online or is that something I can get in a store somewhere?

Thanks,
Jamie

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 14

Just a design tip. The base of the spout should be fairly broad and near the bottom of the teapot then extend up to near the top. Think of how you pour from it. So many are too thin and up too high. If you have time, look at several real teapots.

cheftracy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftracy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 14

When I did mine, I learned the hard way that you must insert the toothpicks/skewers at the proper angle. Make sure to hold it up and visualize how it attaches so the picks give enough support.
Also, you probably want to use gumpaste to keep it light and allow it to dry all the way.

preseliz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 14

I've never used gumpaste. Can someone fill me in on the details on how you make it/how it works/how it tastes? I'm assuming it is all very similar to fondant in how you manipulate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%