How Do You Transport Your Wedding Cakes?

Business By aprilcake Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 1:04pm by aemcd

aprilcake Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 3

hi everyone.

i am transporting my first wedding type cake...its actually for a sorority but its exactly like a three tiered wedding cake. I am traveling around 35 minutes. its a 6, 10 and 14 round tier with fondant. Should I put each tier in a box that is just a few inches wider than the tier itself? I was guessing I should have the rods already in each tier ready to be stacked and then bring the border icing and decoration icing incase of something happening and then when I get there, stack and pipe on the border and put the greek letters up top....does that sound good...any tips would be appreciative...i want to make this work well and have a good outcome!

April :0)

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 3

Your plan sounds good since it's your first big cake and you probably don't want to transport it stacked. For three-tiered cakes I transport them stacked already as long as I can put them in the fridge beforehand to get them cold. If the icing isn't cold they can slide around and get off-center, so then I'd take them in pieces and assemble there. For anything over 4 tiers I transport them in sections and assemble on-site. I'd advise you to put a piece of non-skid carpet padding in the boxes under each tier, though, then they won't slide in the boxes.

aemcd Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 3

I always stack at home with dowels in each layer and one through the whole thing. I've only had one budge and that was because I slid the layer after I sat it on the dowels. I also live on a very bumpy road. I have delivered two cakes pre stacked over an hour away. One was 4 tiered.
That said I'd do what you are most comfortable with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%