Ummm... Should I Be Worried???

Business By Feefs Updated 11 Jan 2007 , 2:43am by Cakerer

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 9:57am
post #1 of 43

Hi all
I just got an email from a person for a cake order enquiry... this all she wrote:

Hello there

Can you please tell me where you are located?
I'm interested in obtaining a quotation.

Kind regards

Gemma Campbell
Senior Policy Officer
Population Health Policy Branch
Health Policy and Clinical Reform
Department of Health (WA)

would you be worried??? I'm only a hobbyist and never worried about getting permits etc -- not a common thing over here to do -- DH reckons it could just be a legit enquiry but worries me all the same!! what do you think???

-- Fi

42 replies
crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 10:28am
post #2 of 43

Hi Feefs,
yeah, i'd be worried too! but let's not get too anxious. It could very well be a legitimate enquiry. She only wants to know your location. Maybe because she'd like to know how far your place is if she is collecting the cake. So just give her a suburb/area. You don't have to give her your street or address just yet as she has not confirmed any order. If she only wants to know how far your place is from hers, the area/suburb will suffice.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:00am
post #3 of 43

I would agree with crouton800, don't get over anxious for now but give her a suburb/region.
... surely she would have erased her title, etc if it was going to be a covert investigation? Perhaps she just sent it from a work email account which automatically puts in the details?

tammylenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammylenz Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:12am
post #4 of 43

I was thinking the same as Jennifer. If I was going to investigate someone or something I surely would not let them know it. I would have erased all the mumbo jumbo at the end of the e-mail.

I guess I may be concerned but only if I had something to worry about. I am sure it is just a normal enquiry.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:20am
post #5 of 43

If you think this person is from the Health Department, why not just either call the office or go to their website and see if this person really works there. Then you can answer the e-mail if you want. If and when you do answer, ask how she got your name and knew you made cakes, especially being you are new at this. Someone you know may have recommended your cakes.

deb

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:21am
post #6 of 43

Maybe you could just give a phone number? Hmmm...I'm thinking she just wants a cake price? Hopefully!

--Knox--

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:35am
post #7 of 43

There is a reason she signed the letter as she did. I think she wanted you to know she was from the health department.

Why else would she include where she worked and her title? If I email someone to make an inquiry I don't sign a letter with my work title and who I work for.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:40am
post #8 of 43

Also: it says "Population Health Policy Branch
Health Policy and Clinical Reform"

That's very much DIFFERENT than "inspection officer."

I'd go ahead and quote her with a phone number for a return e-mail and the "general" area you were in.

She's not a health department inspector. She's a policy official.

--Knox--

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:42am
post #9 of 43

Knox, be careful she is not just fishing for illegal home businesses. I would be careful giving out my phone number though, especially if you have an ulisted number.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:45am
post #10 of 43

First of all, I would never have a website and advertise cakes if I didn't have permits. I would be somewhat worried if someone from the health department contacted me for my services. Do you think she got your email address from your website? If so, why didn't she just call you for a quote on a price?

I also noticed on your website that you advertise novelty cakes like Bob the Builder, Barbie, etc. Are you aware that you must have permission to use these as they are copyrighted? I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, but I would be careful.

Personally, I am not licensed and I do cakes at home but only for people I know really well. I always worry about someone turning me in for not being licensed.

Maybe I am just a worrywart but I'd be careful.

Diane

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 43

I wouldn't even respond, and would probably block the address from my email. It soumds like she is either fishing for info, or is a scam email.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:59pm
post #12 of 43

I usually try to use my gut feelings about things and its pretty accurate. You obviously have a feeling about this, so go with your guts on this one.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 43

Who signs their emails with all their title? Your state should have an official website to look up state/federal employees.
Over the summer I received a strange call from a person stating they were from the health department and needed to ask me questions. I had not gotten into baking then and was not worried about a license. What bothered me was how they got my cell number which I keep only for friends and family. My husband went into the Florida website and indeed this guy was legit. It gave his name, standing and what department he was in. It turned out that my daughter's preschool had a bought of food poisoning and they were investigating the outbreak.
Anyway, the point is, you can find out info on this person if you are concerned.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:15pm
post #14 of 43

If having a permit/license is not required in Australia (and every country - heck, every city in some countries - is different), then I wouldn't worry too much. I too would just give her your general location and then see what happens. Good luck!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:20pm
post #15 of 43

I'd go with gut feelings and be careful. Doesn't sound good to me!
If she signed her 'title' she means it!
Giving her your phone number is just as deadly since the internet can look up anyone! Just as good as giving her directions.
I'd pass on this unless you desperately needed money for her cake. Then you are also taking a chance. Good luck.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 43

All of the above might be correct. Also, remember, there are people that need to feel important, including her title may be a way of saying "I'm important" and have nothing to do with anything more than wanting a price. I'd answer her question and give a general idea of where you live. (If there is going to be an investigation you'll be informed through proper channels, don't you think?)

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:33pm
post #17 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

There is a reason she signed the letter as she did. I think she wanted you to know she was from the health department.

Why else would she include where she worked and her title? If I email someone to make an inquiry I don't sign a letter with my work title and who I work for.

I agree...sounds like more than just an inquiry. I also looked at your website...very sweet. I would call her...try to find her number and just play innocent. If they really wanted to find you, believe me, they would find you without your help.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:11pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

If having a permit/license is not required in Australia (and every country - heck, every city in some countries - is different), then I wouldn't worry too much. I too would just give her your general location and then see what happens. Good luck!

Actually, it is required to have a licence to sell cakes from home in Australia, as well as having an ABN. Some states don't allow it at all. If you're advetising to sell food from home, you have to have a licence.

But on that email, I have had people email me for enquiries with their work signature, and a couple of people have been from the taxation office and other government offices, and they have been legit customers that bought cakes from me. I am registered for tax though, so i wasnt really worried, I just wanted to point out that a lot of people have their signatures on all their outgoing email, it may be nothing.
Cheers
Nati

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 43

Well, Feefs, I'd be just as worried as you, BUT....

I can't say that I've ever heard of the health department setting up a STING operation for cake decorating hobbyists! I mean don't they have better things to do?? icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif

Besides, if it were a sting operation, they wouldn't sign it from the department of health.

BUT...it is odd that she gives her title, etc. I would be proactive and e-mail her back and let her know what she wants to know. As was mentioned earlier, if they really want to find you, they will. If you own up to everything up front, and for whatever reason the HD spies are out there for you, then it will go much better, I think, if you are up front about everything.

Sorry we all can't be more reassuring, but only the person who sent the e-mail really knows her motives! Good luck!

Sarah

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:37pm
post #20 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Well, Feefs, I'd be just as worried as you, BUT....

I can't say that I've ever heard of the health department setting up a STING operation for cake decorating hobbyists! I mean don't they have better things to do?? icon_confused.gificon_mad.gif

Besides, if it were a sting operation, they wouldn't sign it from the department of health.

BUT...it is odd that she gives her title, etc. I would be proactive and e-mail her back and let her know what she wants to know. As was mentioned earlier, if they really want to find you, they will. If you own up to everything up front, and for whatever reason the HD spies are out there for you, then it will go much better, I think, if you are up front about everything.

Sorry we all can't be more reassuring, but only the person who sent the e-mail really knows her motives! Good luck!

Sarah

Actually, they don't have anything better to do as this is part of their job. My inspector is very nice and we talk a lot when she comes in...she's even a customer of mine. However, if something is wrong she has no problems calling me on it. I also know of a place about 2 blocks from my shop that was selling snacks like icees, hot cocoa, icecream, ect and my inspector walked in one day and started asking questions about them...I didn't know anything...and she told me that she is keeing an eye on them because she has seen them turn their open sign OFF when she comes walking down the road. After a few months they raided the place...no liscense, no insurance, no sanitation, no liscenced food manager...

I'm not saying that this is what's going to happen to the original poster...I am just saying that they ARE the food police! Also, when asking about how she found you...your website, word of mouth, saw a business card, any way that any potential customer would find you! They search newspapers, the internet, phone books ect. for people that are operating without the proper liscencing. icon_sad.gif

Also, I could be totally wrong in her "intent"...she could just have her signature attached to every email she sends out!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #21 of 43

I rec'd a similar email a few months back also with an email from the Health Department. She wanted to know if I was licensed and insured. I never responded back.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #22 of 43

I'd say she just wants the info to order from you if you are close enough. She obviously e-mailed from her work, and I know you can set your e-mail up to automatically attach your signature (business, position,e-mail, phone), ect. to the bottom of your e-mail. She probably just didn't think to erase it.

Feefs Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 11:38pm
post #23 of 43

thanks guys... i know i'm probably over worrying -- hell, it's not like this is my business! it's just a hobby... and I guess before it can be classed a business you actually have to be PAID for making cakes!! I think I've been paid for about 2 of the entire catalogue of cakes that I make. I'm not going to stress... what will be will be... nothing I can do can change it... and it could very well be someone with a legit enquiry -- guess I'll just have to wait & see.

Thanks again

-- Fi

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 12:21am
post #24 of 43

Nice catalogue of cakes to have only been paid for two of them. Good luck.

Diane

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 1:06am
post #25 of 43

according to your website which has some nice cakes I would think you sell a lot of cakes.

You know I worked with a lady at a store a long time ago and she did cakes at home and someone reported her to the IRS and she told me it cost her $10K in fines and she would never make cakes at home. There's more to it. I also know of 2 bakeries in Oklahoma that bankrupted because they were caught reproducing character cakes for customers.
mpc

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 1:22am
post #26 of 43

Is this what the health dept is called in Australia? If so,I personally would be concerned. Like someone else said, it is their job to inspect/investigate just this kind of thing. Who knows how they may have stumbled upon your information but they have. I wouldn't respond to the e-mail and would seriously consider making significant changes to the website. Hope everything works out for you.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 1:36am
post #27 of 43

Why don't you Google the Dept of Health Wa website and check out what Popluation Health Dept does. Seems to me it would not be about food inspections but more about health issues like immunisation, health programs, etc.

Also your mobile and home number is listed on your website and if she wanted to investigate you she would not need to contact you via e-mail. She could find out where you are via reverse directory.

Hopefully this is just a query and all is okay.

tarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheel Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 4:44am
post #28 of 43

Just wondering if you responded to the inquiry and what happened? !!!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:09am
post #29 of 43

It's my understanding that if you advertising as a business... ie a website, business card, yellow pages etc, but don't have a license then you are committing an unlawful act. As for making any money, they deem that irrelevant, especially since frequently small businesses don't show a profit for 3 to 5 years after start up. In addition, as someone else mentioned, if the tax people find that website and other forms or written advertisement you could be in a very real financial dilema. Just be careful if you do cakes for money from home. Personally, I worry more about the IRS.

Feefs Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 5:33am
post #30 of 43

thanks for the comments... kind and otherwise... some I found quite unkind... therefore, this topic can now be regarded as closed.

-- Fi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%