Difference Between Rolled Fondant And Mmf

Decorating By jmpearl Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm by jmpearl

jmpearl Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 11

Is there a difference between rolled fondant and MMF?

10 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 11

MMF stands for marshmallow fondant which is a type of rolled fondant. There are other recipes on this site as well as premade brands like Satin Ice, Pettinice, Fond-X, etc.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 11

MMF stands for marshmallow fondant which is a type of rolled fondant. There are other recipes on this site as well as premade brands like Satin Ice, Pettinice, Fond-X, etc.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 11

jmpearl Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks! I'm starting Wilton Course 3 on Monday. Would you recommend that I use the Wilton Rolled Fondant for learning/practice or should I make MMF? What recipe would you recommend?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 11

Firstly, so sorry for the triple post. Having a bit of trouble staying connected to the site and after sending replies.

To answer your question, if you really want to eat the practice cakes you make, then I would make the MMF. Personally I feel that Wilton fondant is fairly close to inedible. You can also just use the Wilton brand and then when you eat the cake, peel off the fondant. When I took the class, I used Wilton fondant for covering the board (obviously eating that one wasn't an option icon_wink.gif ) and I made MMF to cover the cake.

Don't know if that's much of an answer or not, but.....

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with sugar plum..the taste of the wilton is awful. Is a good learning tool since it has a great consistency but taste ...uhm...nuhuh!

I teach classes and work doing wedding cakes. My suggestion would be to try both. MMF is a little bit softer than your regular fondant. Flavor is good. Satin Ice is a good choice in fondant. Price is decent and quality is good as much as flavor. Of course there are better quality fondant out there. But then again for starters satin ice is pretty good..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

ericaann79 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 11

Wilton fondant is wonderful for learning...but I agree, inedible. I have had really bad luck with MMF, I use Toba's recipe on this site.

smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 11

The first time I ever tried cake decorating was with marshmallow fondant. I followed Peggy's mmf recipe from the following link
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
It was flawless and I loved it until I discovered satin ice.

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #10 of 11

As a wilton teacher I say to my students is a great way to learn. After that use something else with better flavor!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

jmpearl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much, you've been very helpful!

Jenny icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%