Need Ideas For An Indoor Pool Cake...

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm by aprilcake

aprilcake Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 9

i have a customer whoâs daughter is having her 12th birthday party at a hotel and its going to be a pool party so she wants the top of the sheet cake to look like a pool and hot tub...i actually want to make it look like the hotel pool they are staying at...but I need some help...along with that...her fav. colors are pink/green and polka dots. I was thinking of doing the top with the pool/hot tub and some side items like pool chairs etc...and then writing happy birthday up top and then on the sides of the cake have hot pink and green fondant polka dots scattered all over? does that sound ok? i was also thinking about making a beach ball to put in the any of you know how to make pool chairs , beach balls or anything like that or a place where I can get them? i need help and inspiration because I want to do this perfect! The hotel pool link is

8 replies
CreamPuffGal Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Aprilcake,

Here is a link to an adorable pool cake I found:

You can use this for inspiration re accessorizing your cake -- love the ideas you have already. Now 12 year old girls are tricky -- if they're mature, they won't like the Teddy Grahams at the pool, but if they're on the more innocent side, I think they'd love these decorative ideas.

In either case, I think 12 year old girls would love it if you incorporate some of the candy onto the cake! icon_lol.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 9

For inspiration, go to

I'll have to come back with some ideas.

dragonflydreams Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 9

. . . you could do a rectangle (1/2 sheet - or maybe full sheet depending on proportions?) . . . use the bottom layer "as is" . . . cut the pool out of the second layer so you have a recess for the "pool" and the "deck" is the cake portion . . . you could use the part you cut out of the middle for making your "deck chairs" so you aren't wasting cake . . . sugarshack used jawbreakers covered in fondant for beach balls . . . . . . just some idea starters . . . hth

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry, but I'm back. For the beach balls, I would use gumballs or something already round. You could either cover them in Fondant or leave as is. With that said, I would use hot pink or green gumballs for your balls.

You have to have a beach towel. For that I would either do a marble'd fondant with green and pink or do green and pink stripes for the towel. You can fringe the ends of the towel by making small slits all the way across.

I love your idea of of doing the sides in the pink and green polka dots. I'll have to look at the picture you attached to get ideas for the chairs etc.

Your idea is great and I can't wait to see the finished product!

sjmoral Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

I am making my daughter's cake for this Saturday and it's also in an indoor pool so I'll definitely post the picture. I got inspiration from CC and some of it's members... I am proud of my first fondant people, can''t wait to get them swimming!

sjmoral Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 9

Check out my pool party cake in my photos!

aprilcake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 9

sjmoral...what a cute cake! I hope my little figurines turn out that nice!

aprilcake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm
post #9 of 9

thanks for all your is the pic of the cake completed...

Quote by @%username% on %date%