Question On Making A Cakestand

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm by tiggy2

MomLittr Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:43am
post #1 of 6

I have a large cake order for next week (bototm is 12x12 square). Being the customer is driving the cake almost 2 hrs away, was thinking of getting a square of plexiglass as the stand, for sturdiness, instead of just cake boards. this cake will be an 8" square on a 12" square - how thick should I get to make this sturdy? Also want to find some sort of "feet" to put on the bottom, is this a good idea? Can I put the cake directly on the plexiglass or should I put cake cardboard under it? Yes, this is my first time doing something so large for someone else and am very nervous! icon_eek.gif

5 replies
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:33am
post #2 of 6

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, can I put the cake directly on the plexiglass, or should it go on some sort of cake board first - don't want it sliding around when she is taking it away, so worried I have no control of it after it leaves my hands!

MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 6

I have never used the plexiglass. My DH made me some wood bases and added little "feet" at the bottom so that I could at least grab the board more easily. The little "feet" I am talking about are the little bumps that nail to the bottom of the chair legs... I have no idea what they are called.

I don't see any problem with the cake sitting on top of the plexiglass. Be aware that when the cake is cut, your plexiglass may be scratched...

MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 6

What do you cover your wood with? I was just wondering which one would be the easiest to make, and least heavy to carry. Thanks!

MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 6

I cover it with the wilton silver or gold papers. I had a friend I made a cake for and they cut through the wilton paper when they were cutting the cake, and the board got grease stains from the buttercream. So now, what I have done is covered the boards with shelf paper and then the wilton paper on top. That has worked out for me.

The wood is definitely heavy!

tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 6

You can also use ceramic tile or mirrors for cake boards and no need to cover with anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%