Colorflow Plaque

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 10:22pm by tracey1970

snoopy3 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make a color flow plaque to put on my cake. It will be an oval shape, but can I write with buttercream over top of it? And can I embelish it with buttercream, i.e dots around the edge, or will this break down the colorflow.

Sorry if this sounds silly! I am just not sure,

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 4

I know I answered this ? already but w/all the down time on here lately I guess it got losticon_sad.gif

Yes you can write w/b'cream & embellish it.
It will NOT breakdown into a puddle. I *may* soften it just a bit.
This 'old wives tale' just won't dieicon_sad.gif The problem w/RI comes when one is making it. There can be NO grease of any kind even near anything you are using of it will never whip up stiff like you need RI to do. Once it is properly made your worries w/grease are 99.9% overicon_smile.gif
Let your plaque dry WELL - several days to be sure it is completely dry. Then you can proceed w/your b;cream decorations.

msmeg Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 4

Well I have to differ I would not decorate it with buttercream

no it will not melt into a puddle. it will soften sometimes and sometime the color will bleed especially if it has dark colors.

If it has a white back ground and the white buttercream border touches just the white you will have no problem but it is touches darker colors it can be a problem at times. I prefer my color flow to sit up above the cake. I do use butter cream to make a few dots to raise it but only in the white areas royal icing or fondant is much safer.

I never have problems with royal icing flowers on buttercream but a color flow plaque is different. I have learned from experience nothing worse than doing a cake for an Eagle ceremoney and the red bleeds into the white

It is also always wise to make 2 in case one cracks.

tracey1970 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 4

I have used color flow a lot. For instance, I made the birds for the Wilton 2 course and placed them into the cake (in my photos). It took us a few days to eat the cake and by the second day, the color flow birds, which had been inserted into the buttercream icing, had gone all soft and flimsy. They were not able to be removed from the cake at that point. They fell apart upon touching them. So buttercream will break down color flow icing, not immediately, but it does happen. I've watched it do so on more than one cake. I don't think I'd put BC right on it. When I make a cake on which I plan to use a color flow plaque, I place the plaque on the cake within a few hours of serving it. That way, it has time to sort of "settle" into the icing but not really enough time to get all soft and wobbly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%