Need Help With Pricing?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 1:34am by indydebi

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 3

Ok I have a customer that has inquired about a cake for her sons 1st birthday.
She wants the childs individual cake to be a Honey pot with all the winnie the pooh charaters coming out of the top of it, and then an addtional sheet cake for the rest of the guests.
So how do I price a single serving 3-D cake with gumpaste characters? My first thought was I have a 25 serving minimum and a 25$ base fee for shaped cakes so this little boys cake is going to be expensive!
How do I price this cake with out short changing myself and with out scaring the customer away?
The amount of work will be about the same whether it was large or small, so I really don't want to put hours into a cake that I can only sell for a couple of bucks.

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 3

Oh this one sounds like fun!! icon_surprised.gif

Since she is ordering the sheet cake from you also (as long as it meets your minimum order) then I would charge for the miniture as if she was ordering multiples (as long as it is the same flavor etc as the main cake and no special mixing for it)

My base price starts at $10 for minis, but since you are carving it I would start at a minimum of $15-$20. Then add on your price per gumpaste character as needed.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

How do I price this cake with out short changing myself and with out scaring the customer away?

It is what it is. If she wants a Cadillac cake ... no matter how small ... then she pays the Cadillac price.

She's not paying for the amount of cake so she may go into shock at the price ("HOW much for that little tiny cake????") ... she's paying for the time and talent it takes to create the specially constructed cake requested by her.

Debi's Rule of Catering .... one-fourth the size = four times the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%