Fondant "essentials" ??

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 9:46am by loriemoms

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 4

I'm starting the Wilton course 3 next week and it will be my first time touching fondant... I plan on moving on to the fondant & gum paste course after that one.

What fondant tools can you not live without? At this point all I have is the fondant, the "equipment" that comes with the course 3 kit, and a large wooden rolling pin that I've had for years...

3 replies
__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:49am
post #2 of 4

I didn't take course 3, but have taken the fondant and gumpaste. That was an expensive little course and I bet I spent well over $300 on 'stuff'. (Canadian prices at Michaels). After showing up for our first class, we were given a list of things to buy in addition to our kits and that list alone cost around $200.

You'll need the roll and cut mat for sure. Other nice things to have: texture rollers, lustre dust, different cutters, little 9" rolling pin ... I could go on and on - lots of fun.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you have a wooden rolling pin. At least consider the 20" rolling pin. It's nice and smooth, very heavy and it has rubber guides on the ends so that you can regulate the thickness of your fondant to either 1/16" or 1/8" and I think 1/4" - that is a lot tougher to do with a regular rolling pin.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, that is expensive. Can somebody send me the "to buy" list for the fondant and gumpaste course so that I can start stocking up now using the 40% coupons? Otherwise there will be no way I can afford that.

Thanks....

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:46am
post #4 of 4

I am a firm beleiver in getting good products that you will use for years. You end up saving money in the long run. If you love your rolling pin and its nice and smooth, then use it. (we used wooden ones, those little french ones, in many of our classes) if it is rough, then invest in a good heavy pin that you will enjoy. As far as mats, don't get the overpriced cheapie plastic thing Wilton sells (the one with the circles marked on it...it never lays flat and is hard to use) Get either a Aetco mat or even buy a piece of plastic mylar at the craft or hardware store. A pizza cutter that is flat on both sides (you dont want bolts sticking out that can cut into the cake) A small can of crisco and some corn powder. (take a nylon stocking, fill it with about 1/2 cup of powder, twist it, wrap the stocking over it and then tie a knot. This will make a nice little puff you will use for dusting) That is all you will need to cover a cake with Fondant. The cutters, and dusts and all that stuff can come later, and you will play with that stuff in your class. (A good instructor will have them for you to play with, then decide if you want to invest in them) I would also wait for a class list .. Have fun, fondant is great stuff!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%