Need Some Help...how Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm by FromScratch

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 6

I have a client who needs a sage green fondant wedding cake with white daises and designs. I gave her these three options...tell me how much you would charge for each option..because I am wanting to make sure I am ok in the price range...

option I:

6, 8, 10 -round tiered fondant covered cake with each tier a different flavor. White fondant daises and designs on each tier. with one 11 x 15 double layer sheet cake for $319

option II:

4, 6, 8 -round tiered fondant covered cake with each tier a different flavor. White fondant daises and designs on each tier. with two 9 x 13 double layer sheet cakes for $240.

option III:

14, 11, 8, 5 -round tiered fondant covered cake with each tier a different flavor. White fondant daises and designs on each tier. $400.

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

It's going to vary for everyone.. but let's take a look at your pricing..

Option I:

6-8-10 is 60 servings (by my chart which is a bit less than wilton's)
Your 11x15 double layer sheet will serve 75

That's 135 servings.. for 319 is $2.36 per serving

Option II:

4-6-8 is 35 servings.. and the 9x13 is 50

that's 85 servings.. for 240$ is $2.82 per serving

Option III:
5-8-11-14 is about 130 servings

for $400 is $3.07 per serving..

You have a rather big per serving discrepancy in your pricing. What servings chart are you using.. that could account for some of it, but you still have a difference. I assume that your sheets will match the cake and have the fondant as well too.

I would charge $5/serving for fondant covered cakes. But my market is different than yours. I wouldn't go under $3/serving for fondant though.

sirena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirena Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 6

do you have a base price por person?
for how many serving do you need to make the cake

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 6

Your prices are about on par with mine. It depends alot on the market in your area though.

As far as what jkalman said, I think she is right, but I did interpret the original post as meaning the sheet cakes would not be fondant covered, so that would explain the price discrepancy. If they are fondant covered, then the pricing doesn't make sense.

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 6

i was going off of the wilton chart I believe. the sheet cakes would NOT be covered in fondant...which would make the overall price cheaper. They would be a double layer with filling in the middle though. i charge 2.50 per slice for buttercream and 3.50 per slice for fondant

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 6

Well then I think you are more than okay. icon_smile.gif Your prices are a little low, but at least they are consistent with your serving chart. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%