Does The Ribbon Roses On This Cake Look Right?

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm by crablegs

grannys3angels Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 21

Please, could someone tell me if I did my ribbon roses right on this cake. I had never done them before and I try to go by looking at some on other cakes here at CC. I did try to do a (how to) search here, but the search came up with nothing.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make them or where to fine a tutorial or instructions. If they are not right, I would love to know, so I don't do them this way again, if they are wrong. You will not hurt my feelings or up set me in any way, I just want to do them right.

Thanks & God Bless,

20 replies
springlakecake Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 21

I think they look great!

crisseyann Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 21

Great roses, great cake! thumbs_up.gif

ShaunaCann Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 21

I think they match the cake perfectly! Great job!

jack109 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 21

Awesome job! Love the colors!

namaman Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 21

I think your roses look great... And in case you still wanted it, here is a link that goes through making them:

grannys3angels Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks so very very much and God bless your hearts. Never have taking any classes and not being able to fine any how too's, I was so worry I did them wrong or that they did not really look right.

Thanks again for your wonderful replys, they do make me feel so much better and has help to lay my worrying at ease icon_smile.gif

God Bless,

terrylee Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 21

I think everything is just perfect....colors, details and the ROSES.

butterflywings Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 21

They look FANTASTIC! I LOVE this cake! Everything about it is just awesome. I love the colors. I love all the little details. And I love how you have just a few roses, that you didn't try to heap on tons of them. Beautiful. You should be very proud of it!

SugaryGoodness Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 21

I think they look great! The color helps tie it in with the cake colors and the shoes. The roses add to the girly theme!

mellormom Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 21

Your roses are great!
I just took a class on how to do Victorian ribbon roses. It was very fascinating! And the best tip of the demo was rolling gumpaste over rough sandpaper makes a great design on the paste. (boy did it ever give a cool effect!)

wgoat5 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #12 of 21

Sharon the cake is beautiful can your roses look right on icon_smile.gif

And God bless YOU!!! icon_smile.gif

take care my Ky friend icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm
post #13 of 21

I am so sorry everyone I didn't get to reply back sooner, I am just now able to get on CC. My heart goes out to Jackie & Heath, I know they have to be working very hard to keep CC up & running...Big thanks you two thumbs_up.gif

Thank You!, to all of you for your kind and wonderful remarks about the roses....they sure make me feel better and they warm my heart.

Namaman, thanks for the link. I went and check it out...I never laugh so hard at myself, I did my roses nothing like that icon_lol.gif I cut the strips as it shows, but I cut then wider, then folded them in half...and start rolling and pinching as I went. I think I was trying to do as you would with fabric icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh well, if we can't at our selfs sometimes...guess we would go crazy.

Mellormom, that idea does sound very neat. If you wouldn't mind, could you share more details on how to do that.

Again, Thanks Everyone & God Bless,

loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:36am
post #14 of 21

not only are they great roses, but that is a great cake!!! I love it!

lomikesa Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:37am
post #15 of 21

You cak looks beautiful and your rose are perfect.

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #16 of 21

Sharon I love your roses they look spectacular!!!!!

Hmm I posted on this topic once and it's not here ... grrrrr

(((hugs)))) to you and

God bless you Sharon!

crablegs Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 21

They look great to me but I do have one question. The diamond pattern on the bottem tier, how do you make it overlap correctly. (hope this makes sense) The first and last time I tried this on a cake it got all messed up at the starting and ending part.

CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #18 of 21

Your cake looks great and the roses are pretty. I've never made ribbon roses but want to learn. They look old fashioned to me, and I love that.

mellormom, rolling it on sand paper? How much sand did the gumpaste pick up? I guess I'd have to see this to understand the advantage of the texture, but I'm sure, being a wood worker myself, that this would get some amount of sand on your flowers. I'd like to know more.

Happy CC'ing while we can everyone! Have a great day!

grannys3angels Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #19 of 21

Thank You!, everyone for your nice comments on the roses and the cake.
In my reply April 1st, it should read... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh well, if we can't laugh at our selfs sometimes, guess we would go crazy...I couldn't get back on CC to edit, after I post it.

Crablegs, on the impression mat...I have Sharon's AKA Sugarshack's, "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" dvd. She saids, to let your BC crust good (30 to 60 mins.), start with the middle area of the mat, press the mat, but not to press the last inch of either side of the mat. Wipe the mat off with a paper towel, line your mat up with the last area and do the same as before.

When you have went around the cake and get to the area where you started, ( in most cases that part will not line up even), so make that the back side of your cake. I hope I did this in a way to where you can understand what I am saying. This cake was the first time I had ever use a impression mat, it was fun using it. The most trouble I had was with my eye's, aging is not kind to the eye's icon_smile.gif. I have trouble seeing close-up and far away, so I did have a few places not line up to good, or that was off a little.

Thanks again for all the sweet remarks on the roses and cake everyone and for taking the time to reply to my question, I do appreciate it with all my heart.

God Bless,

yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #20 of 21

Oh gosh, they're beautiful! Much better than mine! icon_cry.gif GGRRR! LOL thumbs_up.gif

crablegs Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks, I understand now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%