How Would You Handle This? Need Some Advice Quickly, Please

Business By karateka Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

karateka Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have a customer interested in a tasting. She booked it but has not paid the deposit. I called her on Friday pm and she said she'd bring it by the house on Sat or Sun. She had forgotten because she had been doing work on her basement and then the whole thing flooded.

The weekend passed and she didn't bring it by. Now I don't know whether to bake her tasting cakes or not! I feel like some kind of jerk calling again, since her basement flooded....but I don't want to bake 3 cakes for no reason, either. What if she no shows??

What would you do? Call again? or just bake them and cross your fingers? Or consider it cancelled, and tell her if she shows up that I never rec'd a deposit, so I assumed she wasn't coming?

6 replies
Erdica Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 7

I would probably say something like"

I was just calling to confirm our tasting appointment. I know your basement flooded and this is probably taking up a lot of your time. I just wanted to confirm because I didn't receive your deposit.

Then just see what she says.

Our basement has flooded 3 times. And it consumes soooo much time and energy just dealing with insurance and mold and all that wonderful stuff that comes along with it.

karateka Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, erdica.

I'm just worried about calling and making a nuisance of myself, knowing what she's going through. But I don't want to bake 3 cakes for a no show, either. It's happened to me WAY too often.

I'll wait until a decent hour then call her, and hope she doesn't get too tee'd off at me.

1234me Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 7

you should call her. I would.

tippyad Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 7

Things happen and we're all busy. I probably wouldn't call. If she shows up for the tasting I'd say since I didn't receive your deposit and with the flooding I assumed you weren't going to be able to come. Can we reschedule? Just be sure to stay calm and use a nice tone.

Or call to confirm and if she still says she can't make it then next time wait for her to contact you.

I recently had this happen to me and the customer was very understanding. It's her responsibility to call you to book a tasting, not yours.

karateka Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 7

Well, I listened to all of you and also my DH and I called her to see if she wanted to re-schedule. She says she is coming by tonight after work with a check. So we'll see....

Thanks for all the quick responses, I appreciate you taking the time-

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 7

i'm glad you called her up. she may be busy but you're busy too. so good job on calling her and confirming it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%