How Do I Do This Garland?

Decorating By Kate714 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 8:23pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Kate714 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 24

Hi all....hope it's okay to post this link:

Does anyone know what tip is used for the garland, and how to do the shell-type decorations between each?!!

I'm needing to make a 60th anniversary cake and I'm told garland was big in the 1940s. icon_confused.gif

23 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:46am
post #2 of 24

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it might be a tip in one of the following two ranges: 86-88 or 400-406. Maybe someone else can narrow it down.

Hope that helps a little at least.

Kate714 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 24

Thanks Sugar Plum Fairy...anyone else have any insight?? icon_smile.gif

claribelcakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 24


I think SugarPlumFairy is right, looks like a tip 86-88 for the ruffle. You can also get a ruffle with a tip 104 and then use a tip 12 OR 14 over it to give you a more defined ruffle. This is what they tought us in the Wilton classes. I think for the large shell in between they possibly used a 5B OR 6B tip? Since its so hard to get the angle, I might actually do those in royal icing and allow them to dry a bit and then freehand lift them into place.

Post your cake when you're done, I'd love to see it.

Good Luck!

Kate714 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 24

that's what I was do I get the angle?? Maybe RI is the answer....I don't know!

peterlori1 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 24

It looks like the bottom shell was piped before the garland, upside down,at the intersection. Then the garland was piped, then the top shell piped on top. I agree that it looks like a tip 86-88 was used for the garland. Probably a tip 32 for the shells. You would pipe the shells straight on. Maybe I am not understanding the angle question. I would definitely do it all in buttercream, as royal has a different look than buttercream.

Kate714 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 24

Thank you....the angle I was referring to was...isn't the top shell upside down? So I would have to get above the cake and pull the shell up?? Unless I'm mistaken??

peterlori1 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 24

You would start the top shell on top, easing the pressure as you pull it down to a point. Much like a crown border. To me, the top shell is right side up and bottom shell is upside down. That must be why I am confused! I hope this helps.

TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 24

there is a tip exclusively made to make those types of garlands.

You really need to search as I don' t know what tip it is.

You can email Alan at Global Art or Beryl at

they are also sold in sets called "ruffle tips"

all4cake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 24

That garland is actually a leave tip....67...68...opened just slightly.

all4cake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 24

sorry...and using the same motion as you do with a shell border

Kate714 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #12 of 24

a leaf tip? really? I never would have guessed! I do have that tip that has like a shell with a ruffle on the bottom. maybe I will try those and see how they come out!

all4cake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #13 of 24

That garland in the picture IS made with the leaf tip only and done using more of a motion like you do for a shell border as opposed to a zig zag motion.

The 67...68..type leaf tip will make a ruffle just by squeezing firmly and pulling away from start point slowly and steadily.

See the small ridge looking effect running through the center? That is from the little notch. This ruffle is accented nicely with a tip 3-5 beaded or snail trail technique through the center.

Kate714 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 24

Thank you All4Cake! I never would have thought of the leaf looks like a couple of different tips to me, with the ridge down the middle. I never use that tip, but I know I have it.

does anyone have any thoughts on how to do the top shell-thingy between each swag? Do I have to get on top of the cake to do that?!?? My cake doesn't have to be exactly like this but I do like that design. TIA!!

beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #15 of 24

I agree it's the leaf tip.

The shell-thingy looks like a star tip shell squished flat w/ a little cornstarch? I could be way off base on that one...

gscout73 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:39am
post #16 of 24

I've made that ruffle. It is a leaf tip. It makes a great border around the top edge.

Also, those shells are star tips but they are not pushed or squished down. If you hold the tip of the star close to the surface while squeezing out the icing, you will get the flared effect. then gently release pressure as you slightly lift, then move the tip down (or up, depending on the direction you want the shell). That will give the tapered point, the same way you would if you used a round tip and wanted a tear shape. icon_wink.gif

terrylee Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:48am
post #17 of 24

Use a rose tip to make the ruffel moving it in a light up and down motion and a leaf tip to cover the top of the ruffle.

beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 24

The top part of that shell-thingy looks slightly flattened to me?

lorijom Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 24

There are two parts to the design in between the garlands - the part that looks like it is hanging down is called a chandelier and the top part a plume. Use a tip in 30-35 range to pipe both halves. For the chandelier- starting at the bottom build up as much as you like then move upward tapering off as you go. For the plume use the opposite motion-start at the top and work down, tapering to a point. With a little practice you'll get it perfect.

Kate714 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 24

wow, so many different opinions on this one! I guess I will have to find the time to practice!! I have a tip 32 but it is a shell ? icon_confused.gif

lorijom Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #21 of 24

32 is exactly the tip I would use - just keep the tip close to the cake as you work. Don't pull away very much because you will lose that full look with the deep impressions. HTH

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:23am
post #22 of 24

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but the last cake I made for Easter has a ruffled border on it that was made using tip #88.

Here's the link:

Kate714 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #23 of 24

WOW icon_surprised.gif that cake is beautiful!!! thanks for sharing.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:23pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks Kate. I usually don't like to post my cakes in the forums and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I thought that since I had just used tip 88 on that cake somewhat prevalently, I'd point out how it looks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%