Delivery Disaster! (Rant)

Decorating By roseyrider Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm by tracycakes

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 11

So I had this wedding cake this weekend and just had to share the story to hopefully save someone else the same fate. Bride said deliver here.....120kms away. So I quoted and all was fine. So I get to 120km mark yesterday and lo and behold .....continue for 25km more.....then see sign for venue and 5km of gravel road...WHAT?!? with my cake in the back?!! get to 5km mark.....continue for 3kms more on the worst gravel road ever with hills and potholes to boot! Bride never mentioned a gravel road. Bearing in mind that this was a last minute cake as her previous baker dropped her, my gumpaste figures were still quite moist, they started to vibrate apart. Plus on one of the bad hills cake shifted and hit the side of the box (hid the damage with flowers). I was just a little peeved! Next time, first question...." ARE THERE ANY GRAVEL ROADS AND WHATS IS EXACT MILEAGE?" !!!!!

10 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry this happened to you. (((hugs)))

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 11

make sure you send her a bill for the extra mileage! she is lucky the cake was there on time

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

Well, I'll be darned. You just can't tell what will happen next! Now I know what IndyDeb means when she says we hafta educate the "cake civilians". Sheesh. She probably never thought for a second about your trip in with the cake. Way to pull it off tho. Good job.

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 11

Glad you were able to save the cake but I'd definitely charged her for the extra miles.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 11

Oh wow...Is one of those times you want to kill someone!...lol
Glad you were able to save it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for the lesson learned...sorry it happened though! What total stress bucket!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:19pm
post #8 of 11

Oh man, I feel bad for you. That is when I am the most stressed is when I am delivering. I will absolutely take that advice from you and remember to ask about possible rail roads and gravel roads. At least you could cover up the damage.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 11

Make a list of venues with a small description and mileage so next time you know.

This is horrible, what would've happened if you weren't able to fix the damage.

I'm sure you would've had an unhappy bride on your hands.

good save.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:55am
post #10 of 11

I suggest to get the venue name and address so you can do your own calculations for the delivery charge.

This is another reason that I list on the quote the actual delivery address and the miles they are paying for, if it goes over then you can go back for more payment

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 11

Back many years ago, I was delivering a wedding cake - just a 14" and 10" for an older couple and I had made many cakes for their daughter - who was a co-worker of mine. I had a tiny car - if anyone remembers the Honda CRX (my dad referred to mine as a tumblebug and he had to be careful not to trip over it icon_lol.gif ). The road to the reception site was asphalt but old and torn up and really rough. These little cars road really rough and it was really humid that day. I got to the venue and the icing was melting off of the bottom layer of the cake, at least it was the back, but I was horrified. I got it fixed as well as I could and covered it with flowers. I left pretty embarrassed. On Monday, my co-worker told me they loved the cake and every single crumb was gone. That made me feel better to know that they really like it.

I don't know what a dunce I was back then - I have pictures of every (decent) cake I make except for the wedding cakes. I never took a picture of any of the wedding cakes! icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%