Allergic To Eggs

Decorating By JacMac17 Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm by indydebi

JacMac17 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 6

I need help.
I have a request for a cake but the child 5yrs is allergic to eggs, don't know what I can do?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks icon_cry.gif

5 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 6

When I made a graduation cake for a young man graduating from H.S. who happens to have dairy and nut allergies, one of the modifications I made was to use Ener-G Egg Replacer. I purchased this at a health food store. I don't know if it's sold in any other retail grocery type store or not, but I had heard of it on either this site and/or another cake decorating site. I didn't taste the final results, but the mom called and gave me rave results.

Here's the photo of the cake (so obviously there was no problem with texture):

HerBoudoir Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:00am
post #3 of 6

There's a book out with all-vegan cake recipes called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World". Vegan = no eggs, no milk, no other dairy. Uses a lot of canola oil, soy products, etc.

A friend of mine has a little girl who is allergic to eggs, and she bakes out of this all the time - loves it icon_smile.gif

If you do a websearch, I know there are a couple of recipes out of the book posted around the web.

Hope that helps!

knel Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6

Just received a recipe from a friend... take any cake mix (I used DH) and add a can of coke. Simple as that. It tints your cake mix, but it works and tastes good. It's really good for the chocolate cakes. I've heard that you can use sprite for white cake mixes, but I haven't tried this yet.

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 6

I use Ener-G egg replacer for my recipes. My daughter has an egg allergy and you can't even tell the difference. The only thing is it works best with SCRATCH recipes. Box Mixes don't work that well for some reason with the replacer. They say some cake mixes work better than others with the replacer, but I don't know which ones those are.

Here is a link to their website: You can buy online or find a store near you. The Kroger near me sells it and it comes out to $.06 per egg. You can't buy real eggs that cheap. And, it's real simple to use. Measure, add water, mix and you are done.

I've brought in all my eggless cakes to work just to see if anyone can tell, and I haven't had a compaint yet. In fact, when I tell people they are eggless, they don't beleive me.

I did do the WASC recipe with the replacer and I had to bake the cupcakes about 10 minutes longer and it yielded a denser cake. I didn't care for it, but one guy I work with said he prefered it with my replacer b/c it was more of an Adult cake. He wouldnt' go as far as saying it was as dense as a pound cake, but it was not fluffy like a regular white cake.

I much prefer my scratch recipes with my replacer. No extra baking time and my cakes and such look, taste and feel as if they had eggs in them.

I'm actually making an eggless cake for a bride. Her bakery won't make one but said if she brings in a cake, they will decorate it to match the cake she is serving to her guests. I bring in samples next week for her to taste. Let's hope she loves them and orders from me.

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 6

agree with the vegan recipe search. I had to do that for one of the guests at the fraternity caterings I do ... made special foods for him, including a dozen chocolate cupcakes. We tasted one and I was very impressed on how good it was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%