Can I Be Licensed In One State And Sell In Another?

Business By adonisthegreek1 Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm by apclassicwed

adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am running out of money to stay afloat in Michigan. I cannot afford to build my own commercial kitchen (yet anyway), and Michigan does not have the cottage law that allows you to bake from home. I have family and friends in Ohio where you can operate a home based business. Is it feasible that I could get licensed in Ohio, then sell in Michigan?

9 replies
dailey Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 10

i'm pretty sure the answer is yes. i rent a kitchen in Chicago but live in Indiana. i was told i can sell in both states...

adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 10

I was hoping that was true, but I just found out from Ohio's Dept of Ag. that their cottage food law only allows you to sell in Ohio. Maybe you can do it state to state with full licensing.

mkolmar Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, you can. I live in MI and am licensed in Toledo, Ohio through a church kitchen. I am considered a commercial bakery since I can refrigerate items. (otherwise it would be considered a cottage food bakery) I can sell basically to anyone as long as I have the label printed out with business name, contact info, name of product, weight of product and the ingredients. I also am required to deliver all products. I sell to people in MI sometimes and it has never been an issue, the health inspector even ok'd it.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 10

Mkolmar, thanks for the info. I think the difference is because I was only looking at a "cottage" license, not a commercial license in Ohio. Maybe I'll see if it is easier (expense wise) to obtain a commercial license in Ohio. It is really hard in Michigan to find someone to rent space from. I've had some temporary arrangements, but I need to find something permanent. I don't do anything on a large scale so there's no need for me to invest a lot of money and get in debt. I've tried VFW halls with no luck. I've tried churches, but they have said that if they rent their kitchen that they may lose their tax exempt status.

chocolatecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 10

Also talk with your Insurance company to confirm that your food liabilty coverage extends to multiple states ( and adjust it accordingly)

mkolmar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10

In Ohio the cottage food license is $10, the commercial food license is $30 (at least for Lucas county anyways) If you want to cater or do other things the cost goes up a little. Baked goods are also tax exempt for the clients.

apclassicwed Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 10

This is very interesting information. I'm also in Michigan, so in order to get the Ohio license, do you have to show(prove) current or previous residency in Ohio?

mkolmar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 10

IF doing from a house, you must show residency. If like your like me and renting out a church kitchen, then no.

apclassicwed Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 10

thanks for the information! Michigan is such a PITA about so many things....

Quote by @%username% on %date%