Should I Even Bother?

Decorating By lolabunny7178 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 12:04am by indydebi

lolabunny7178 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 3

I recently had a girl ask me about doing a wedding cake for her in September and wanted me to email her some pics and go from there. I saw her two days later and she told me she was looking at some other places and that she was basically going to order from whoever was the cheapest. My question is, since I have not emailed her the pics yet, should I even bother. There are two other decorators in my area and I know that one of them only charges about 1.25/serving. There is no way I would do a cake for 1.25/serving. Even in my area that is low. I think Wal-Mart charges more. Thank you for your advice.

2 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 3

Nope. What's to stop her from taking your pic to some other decorator, and have them do the same cake cheaper?

If she wants you to do her cake, let her come to you, and let her see your pics at the tasting.

I have a good friend in NH who ran into this problem at her shop. She ended up putting a sign on the wall stating that all pics of her work, and all illustrations she creates, are her property, and shall not be removed from the premises.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 3

You never know what direction a bride is going to go.

If they are shopping for price only and they make that perfectly clear, then I'd probably refuse to do a tasting (since she's buying on price and not on quality anyway!) and I'd just steer her to the cheap cake ladies in town and not waste my time.

I had an older bride who was so funny when she told me the story about how walmart wanted $138!!! icon_surprised.gif for a wedding cake. I said, "Wow, that's one cheap cake!" She said in pure shock, "It is?" and laughed at herself.

They were going for sheet cake only and were going to get it from a walmart-type store .... they were talking to me about catering. She was a little shocked at my cake prices, but like I said, she was fun and funny because she understood that she had never wedding shopped before in her life.

Anyway .... she ended up ordering my strawberry shortcake cake (in my pics) and paying my price.

Had another bride who narrowed it down between me ($3/serving) and another lady ($1.50/serving). I'm doing her wedding cake.

So never assume they won't pay it.

But to your original question (since I decided to go around the bush and behind the outhouse to get there!), I wouldn't send her any pics ... I'd suggest she browse the internet to look for cake designs that she likes and bring those with her when you get together to talk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%