Serv Safe Food Certification

Decorating By artlover Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 3:02am by cohen1

artlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artlover Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 15

Has any one here have done these class. can you please share your experiance. how hard is the exams.

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 15

This certification is required for all food businesses in my municipality. I would also like to know the answer to this question.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 15

Super easy. Mostly common sense and logic.

I had to pick up the book ahead of time, and was told to read the book and answer the end-of-chapter questions. If you do this, you will ace the test.

The hardest part for me was the section on seafood. Since I dont' serve seafood, it wasn't relevent to me, so it was harder to digest.

I had a great instructor who used to be a HD inspector, so he also had great stories! He taught to the test and flat out told us "you will need to know this".

If you run a clean kitchen anyway, you won't have any problems.

QueenBee1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenBee1 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 15

I took the class and the exam last summer. I passed with a score of 90+. If you read the book and can answer the sample questions at the end of each chapter, you will do fine. I don't know if all of the text books are the same, but the one I had included a ton of information on the various types of viruses and which one(s) are associated with what types of food. It was a lot to try and absorb. But, again, if you focus on answering the sample questions, you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:39am
post #5 of 15

easy peasy....

take the class if you think it will help...

but don't sweat it -- it's not all that difficult.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 10:25am
post #6 of 15

It's not bad. If your going to take the class try, and take it from a community college. I heard there are some people charging a lot of money to take the class. I recommend taking the class, you'll learn a lot, at least I did.
Mike

Winter1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winter1979 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 11:15am
post #7 of 15

I took it this past January and stressed WAY too much over it. It is not hard at all. Just read through it, go through the example questions in the book a few times and you'll be fine.

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 15

What is the name of the book? Where do you get it from?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 15

ServSafe Coursebook, National Restaurant Association Education Foundation. I think it's going into it's 5th edition. It's available off www.servsafe.com or amazon has it as well.

I took the course in Fall 2005 - I'm working on a hotel and restaurant management degree and it's part of the required coursework.

You definately need to get the book and work through it - I'm really glad I had the full course. While some is common sense, there's still an awful lot to learn.

Probably one of the best things is that's what safest food-safety-wise is also best for keeping up the quality of your products - it's definately a great course to have if you do any kind of food service.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 15

Anybody know of a way to take the course online?

HerBoudoir Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #11 of 15

Yes, www.servsafe.com allows you take the course online and take the exam online. Also check with your local community colleges - if they have a Culinary/Hotel/Restaurant Management program, they will have a Serv Safe course and may offer it online.

However, you must have a proctor to take the exam online.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 15

I took the class at my local community college. I passed the exam and the class with 90+, but I don't think I would have fared so well without taking the full course. The cooking questions are common sense, but we got into a lot of restaurant sanitation and HACCP areas that I would not have otherwise know. It also is a lot to absorb all at once on your own.

Be careful when buying the book. You want to purchase a brand new, sealed book. It has the test answer sheet that you will use for the state test (can't remember what they're called). Some students bought used books that did not have the sheet and they had a hard time getting a refund. We were told that purchasing a new book was the only way to get the testing sheet.

HerBoudoir Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 15

I think you can actually buy the testing sheet separate through the website, but they don't make it easy.

I need to get recertified this fall (you have to re-up every 3 years). I'll buy the new edition of the book to make that happen, but I'm more comfortable having the latest edition around anyway. I refer to it fairly regularly for some other classes I have.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:51am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iletmn0

What is the name of the book? Where do you get it from?

I signed up for the class and once I was registered, then I went to their office and picked up the class materials about 2 weeks prior to the class.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:02am
post #15 of 15

saving

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%