Help!!!...my Roses Are Smushy???

Decorating By ang_ty95 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm by jamiemichelle

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making royal icing roses for an upcoming wedding cake and they look very smushy icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif and not as defined and detailed as my usual stiff buttercream roses.

Is something wrong in my recipe?

I used 4 cups icing sugar, 3 tbsps meringue powder and 6 tbsps water and I was sure to make sure everything is grease free. Also I mixed the ingredients on low for 10 minutes with my Kitchen-Aid...please help!!!! icon_sad.gif

My brother looked at the roses and he said they look awful when compared to my buttercream roses...he wasn't trying to hurt my feelings but was being honest and this Bridezilla has specifically asked for royal icing!!! again, please help...Thank you.

8 replies
ang_ty95 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 9

Bump...sorry I'm starting to cry could someone please give me some advice? Thank you.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I can tell you that when we learned how to make RI in Wilton class, the instructor told us to use 4 tablespoons to start, then add as needed.

Next, humidity plays a major factor in royal icing production. If it is humid in your locale, you needed to cut back on the water by 1 tablespoon to start.

Then there's body heat. I have hot hands, and all icings turn to mush on me after just a few minutes.

I would suggest that you re-beat your icing, adding more powdered sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ang_ty95 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so MUCH, Theresa, I really appreciate your response and will try your suggestion right now..thanks again. icon_smile.gif

ang_ty95 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:39am
post #5 of 9

Seriously I give up!!! I spent 4 hours last night trying to make roses out of royal icing and they just wouldn't stand up and keep their shape even after I tried what was suggested...........looks like buttercream is my only option unless I buy roses but why buy I could just make them?????

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:45am
post #6 of 9

Did the bride have a particular reason for requesting RI or was it just a term she heard on the food channel?

ang_ty95 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:57am
post #7 of 9

Her reason was and I quote "my family likes the hard icing and I like the soft icing, so please cover the cakes in buttercream and make the roses in royal icing so each one of my many family members can have a rose.

But now I'm starting to get irritated, why can't I make these roses? In class i could make them with my eyes closed however, i didn't mix the icing...my instructor did but she used the wilton recipe...I really don't know, maybe i'm just a failure at royal icing roses. icon_cry.gif

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:57am
post #8 of 9

every time I've ever made a RI rose they came out the way you are describing. the RI is stiff, but almost too liquidy, I'm afraid if I cut back on water, I won't be able to work the icing. I feel for you and sadly have no real help, other then to say you're not losing it icon_smile.gif.

jamiemichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemichelle Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 9

Are you sure your bags are grease free? I tried making RI roses a while ago using clean decorating bags and they never stood up either, didn't matter how stiff my icing was. I realized that in the past when I had made them, I had used parchment bags and my decorating bags, even though clean, still had grease residue in them. Now if I do RI roses, I will use either parchment bags or new disposable ones. I don't think you can ever get the grease from buttercream out of those featherweight bags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%