Help! Great Idea Just Dont Know How To Accomplish

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm by bcake1960

bcake1960 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All!
OK here is the idea. A birthday cake 10" round decorated reg. like a birthday cake. Then I made a Baseball out of the Wilton pan. and want to place it on the top/and side. like it SPLATTED INTO THE CAKE! OK now my first thought was to cover the ball with fondant. the cake is frosted in BC. then cut a notch out of the ball and fit on the top&side (I don't want the ball in the middle of the cake but off to the side. (does this make sense?) Does any one have any other Ideas how to accomplish? so it would be structurally sound? I would really appreciate any Ideas.. thanks to all you great ones!!

7 replies
tippyad Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 8

Doug, you out there today? You've always got an answer for the great ideas.

bcake1960 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah Doug are you out there?? Please help....

KHalstead Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 8

sounds like a good idea....I just wonder how it could be supported?? ARe you going to have a lot of it hanging over?? Or most of it on the cake??? I know exactlly what you mean about cutting a notch...I would say as long as you cut the notch deep into the baseball...the party on the side should stay attached to the side of the cake with icing pretty well...the only hard part is going to be because that ball cake is in two parts!

LeanneW Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 8

could you make the ball out of something that was lighter but still edible? Like RKT or marshmallow. What is is moldable or already sphere like?

moxey2000 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 8

Why not make the ball out of rice krispie treat covered in fondant? That way you could insert a dowel into it and then into the cake and it would hold onto the dowel.

bcake1960 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 8

I know. I just frosted the ball and am getting ready to put the fondant on the ball I am hoping the fondant will help to keep the ball together.. what do you think and yes I think the majority of the ball should be toward the top of the cake. Because of the weight of the ball.. but I dont think I would need to use any other support do you??

bcake1960 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 8

DUH!! that would have been the thing to do!! Great idea!! It would be much lighter and I would be able to support it.. I still have time... Ill ditch the cake ball and make some rice krispy treats..!! G0REAT IDEA!! THANK YOU ALL!! iLL POST A PIC TONIGHT WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%