Please Help With My Grandma's 88Th Birthday! (Long, Sorry)

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 6:25am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, my grandma's 88th birthday is coming up. It's on April 8 and I really want to make a cake for her because, well, I just love her icon_smile.gif

Here's my idea, please let me know if I'm crazy or not.

For the cake, I was thinking carrot, lemon and pineapple. Initially I thought I'd just add pineapple and candied lemon zest to the batter but would that be sufficient? How about if i did a carrot cake with lemon and pineapple filling instead? will that make the flavors more noticeable?

The frosting is gonna be 7 minute frosting. My grandma LOVES it. I was thinking maybe color it pale yellow? What flavor should I use?

AND I was planning on making a fondant bow and some pearls. I got the idea from a cake here at CC but am having a hard time finding it right now but I'll update this once i find the picture. I don't have luster dust. I can't find it here, would it be okay to do these without it?

Also, I want to make a 9" round, two layers and stack a 5" round two layers on top of it. Do i need some kind of support system to do that?

I would appreciate ANY help or advice. I am really excited about this cake.

5 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 7:51am
post #2 of 6

anyone? please?

lovely Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 8:20am
post #3 of 6

I think a carrot cake and lemon and pineapple filling would be great. Yellow would be a great colour for your nan. She will love it anyway you make it. My nan loves even the worst of worst cakes that are in my gallery and I make her a cake and she doesn't let anyone cut them hehe.
Your a great grand daughter for doing the cake and good luck with other suggestions.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 9:58am
post #4 of 6

thanks for replying lovely icon_smile.gif

am hoping to have more replies but people might be busy. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #5 of 6

I don't think it's that people are busy, it's that most of us are hav ing nothing but problems connecting to CC icon_sad.gif Other than a couple of hours yesterday, this is the 1st I've been able to get on since noonish Sat icon_sad.gif

Yes, yes, go w/the lemon/pineapple filling & if you really want to knock it up a notch, add to batter as y9u suggested.
Even though most people (myslef included) suggest using support anytime you go over 4-5" tall, a 5" tier is soooooooo lightweight I'm thinking you won't need support. Just for practice go ahead & put it on a cake board cut to the size of the cake w/some drink straws for support/dowels - 3 evenly spaced will be more than enoughicon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #6 of 6

yeah, i've been busy trying to get on the site too LOL it's understandable.

thanks for the added advice. i will actually do the dowels for practice too. I have never done that ever. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%