Handmade Initial Cake Topper

Decorating By trixieleigh Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 3:26pm by dandelion56602

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am working on my first wedding cake, and the bride wantsa scroll-y "S" made out of fondant/candy clay for the top tier. I have made smaller numbers out of RI or candy clay for birthday cakes and attached them with toothpicks and skewers, but I don't think that will work for this. I was thinking I should mold it around a wire that I have shaped into the "S" and have 2 wires sticking out from the bottom to attach to the cake. Is this correct? WHat kind of wire? Which will work better...MMF or modelling chocolate?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

if you look at the last cake in my gallery it is my FIRST wedding cake too and I had to do a monogram initial for the topper too. I used gumpaste ...I don't think I'd trust just fondant or just modelling clay for the letter, it doesn't dry as hard. What I did was just that...I put the wire in a snake of gumpaste and then kinda rolled it out some more with the wire inside and then made the shape and let it dry, once it dried for a day or so I flipped it over to let the back dry good too....I made mine two weeks in advance and made TWO of them just in case one broke which it didn't but better safe than sorry especially with someone's wedding!!! The only thing I didn't like is that some of the wire was showing on my "B" which I didn't realize was going to happen until I stuck it on the cake and there was no time to make another one.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:13am
post #3 of 5

Do you have a pic of the font that she's wanting? I've used MMF w/ tylose powder added & left in front of a fan for 3 days before using it. It was solid enough to stand but not so much it would break your teeth (it was as big around as my pointer finger). I just put a lollipop stick in it w/ tylose "glue" & left it flat to dry.

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

if you look at the last cake in my gallery it is my FIRST wedding cake too and I had to do a monogram initial for the topper too. I used gumpaste ...I don't think I'd trust just fondant or just modelling clay for the letter, it doesn't dry as hard. What I did was just that...I put the wire in a snake of gumpaste and then kinda rolled it out some more with the wire inside and then made the shape and let it dry, once it dried for a day or so I flipped it over to let the back dry good too....I made mine two weeks in advance and made TWO of them just in case one broke which it didn't but better safe than sorry especially with someone's wedding!!! The only thing I didn't like is that some of the wire was showing on my "B" which I didn't realize was going to happen until I stuck it on the cake and there was no time to make another one.

Khalstead...that is the cake she has picked out! I sent her to this site to get an idea of what she wanted, and it's YOURS! Very pretty!

I am using regular ribbon, not a fondant one. I think you were much too hard on yourself. That cake is awesome.

I made a "trial run" with one made out of MMF wrapped around a wire hubby made. I am going to let it dry out for a week or so and see what happens. Can you tell me the difference in working with MMF and gum paste? What are the pro's and con's? Thanks so much for all your help!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 5

KHalstead, I agree you're too hard on yourself. The cake looks great---& so does the letter! How did you keep from smashing the gumpaste when you were shaping the letter? (not leaving finger indentions all over it?)

As far as gumpaste vs. MMF. Gumpaste will dry faster & harder & if you ever need to, you can roll it A LOT thinner

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%