First Time Working With Gum Paste - Please Help

Decorating By Beth02 Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm by rozdei

Beth02 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a bassinet for the top of a baby shower cake for tomorrow. I have made the bed part out fondant and the "hood" out of gum paste. I'm wondering, how do I adhere the hood to the fondant once it has dried? Do I use bc, royal icing, some sort of edible glue?

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
MicheleH Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 5

You make a "gum glue" out of gumpaste. You just take about 1/4 tsp of gumpaste and break it into tiny pieces. Then add 1 T water to it. Stir this around until it dissolves & let it sit for about an hour. Then you can use a paintbrush to use this as a glue to adhere decorations to fondant. This will keep for about a week in an airtight container.

rozdei Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with MicheleH, I would use the edible glue that she recommended. You can make edible glue with tylose powder too. Aine2 recommends that you keep it in the fridge when not in use.

Beth02 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 5

I was going to ask about that glue. She says to let it sit overnight but I was wanting to make it this morning and use it tonight. Do you know how long it needs to sit before it can be used?

rozdei Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 5

Beth02,

My Wilton instructor said it needs to sit at least a couple of hours. If you can, let it sit overnight, that's the best, IMHO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%