You Know What Would Be Amazing?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

Cakepro Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 10

I want to buy a set of tulip cutters and veiners, and the GSA website gives me too many choices! (Haha, not a complaint by any means!)

What would be truly amazing would be to have a picture not only of the cutter/veiner but an actual gumpaste flower made with that cutter/veiner!

Seriously, I just wanted a simple tulip cutter & veiner, but had no idea there were American tulips, Mexican tulips, Turkish tulips, Holland tulips, parrot tulips (there's a picture for that one), plain tulips....how's a girl to choose? LOL

Just a suggestion!

Sherri

9 replies
Bossy Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 10

As a newbie to cake decorating I agree! It's like oversaturation when visiting that site, when I need a single item. Not complianing either, just to new to know all the terms and options.

Liz

AlanT Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 10

I fully understand your frustration and we have made some flowers and photographed them for the site. It is very time consuming.
If you are a beginner, please feel free to call me or better yet, email me with your questions. I can usually simplify the process of choosing the correct cutter for you, based on you needs.
A rule to remember- keep it simple. If you purchase a simple tulip petal cutter and add a veining mat, you now have two tools that can be used for many purposes. The all-in-one sets are good if you plan on making dozens of the same flower. Double sided veiners do require you to use thicker gumpaste and some decorators strive for very thin petals that are more lifelike. Alan

debster Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks Alan for the heads up, I too was wondering about this. Don't know which is best. When it's time to buy I will contact you. Thanks!!

TheButterWench Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 10

Hi, you can always go online to see what the actual flower looks like.

That has helped me to visualize them.

Also I print them out and tape them to the wall in front of me while I work so I can keep them as real in colors as I can.

Since I'm not a flower girl I have no idea! Even with roses I had no idea of the varieties!

Sometimes it's nice to throw in a few odd ones in the mix.

FromScratch Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 10

You know what would be even MORE amazing.. if they all came with INSTRUCTIONS too.. icon_confused.gif How am I supposed to know how to put these pieces together to look like the flower it's intended to look like? I got an iris cutter from GSA and my local cake place and neither had instructions. Not Alan's or the cake store's fault, but the company could at least throw us a little bit of a bone no?

wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 10

icon_confused.gif Jeanne mine came with instructions LOL

You wanna know something that would be MORE amazing?

Someone to come over and make my flowers for free...LMAO icon_biggrin.gif (I'm just making a funny)

Alan can you ship us tiny fairies to help us ? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Christi icon_biggrin.gif

AlanT Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 10

Christi,
I tried importing flower fairies but they kept stealing my pixie dust so I sent them back icon_wink.gif
Alan

wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 10

LMAO And they are sooo very fast LOL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 10

I had the same problem too. I got overwhelmed by the sheer number of cutters and veiners and as much as i wanted to buy them all (my credit card won't let me of course) i couldn't make a decision on what to get. I just wanted a five petal cutter and a veiner. just what I saw Louise at cake journal uses to make those really cute flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%