Need Help With Palm Trees & Hibiscus Flowers

Decorating By Boshellbug Updated 1 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm by Boshellbug

Boshellbug Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I need some help making palm trees and hibiscus flowers.

I am in charge of the Annual Mother Son Dance at my children's school and am planning to use this cake as a centerpiece for my buffet table. I plan to do a tiered tropical cake and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I would like to make both the trees and flowers from fondant because I have never worked with gumpaste. I do not want to make the trees real big, I actually wanted to sit them on a 6 or 8 inch cake but I also plan to have a little hut with them.

I wanted to place the Hibiscus flowers here and there on the lower levels and also on some cupcakes - Is there a certain cookie cutter I need to make these? If so can anyone tell me where I can find one?

The dance is next Saturday so I really don't have a whole lot of time. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

2 replies
ibmoser Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 3

Some fabulous inspiration can be found on Rebecca Sutterby's site - check out this link

and look at the third one down on the far right - what you see in the thumbnail is the number 2. There are the most adorable palm trees and little 5-petal flowers that look a lot like little hibiscus that you could do with a 5-petal blossom or cookie cutter. They are attached to the side of the cake so that you could do them in fondant and not worry about collapse. She is such a talented artist...... Maybe in my next reincarnation icon_lol.gif

Boshellbug Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 3

Thank so much. You are right, sugar creations has some amazing looking cakes! I really like the palm trees too! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%