A Few Questions About: Stacking Cakes

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm by disneynutbsv

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:33am
post #1 of 7

I've never done a stacked cake before. I purchased some bubble straws.

1. Is there a tutorial on stacking cakes using bubble straws?

2. If not, could someone explain to me how to do it?

3. I found a cake that looks like a present with the lid open....its square, how many layers of cake do I need and suggestion on size?

Thank you very much!

Ok, this is the cake I was asked to do, it was found on the gallery page of the ICES website and the cake is by Andrea Burns, its either a present or a hat box, (Looks more like a gift to me). I love this cake! The decorator did a wonderful jobicon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 7

It looks like 3 layers with the top being 1 layer. I have never used bubble straws before. Where do you get them? I'm guessing they are a bigger diameter that regular straws? If I were doing this cake, I would stick the straws in the back to where they stick up just a little above the cake then stick up higher toward the front for the lid to rest on. Then probably put a sharpened dowel through the whole thing to make secure. You can hide them with the fondant tissue. As to the size, depends on how many servings you need. HOpe this helps.

Susan

disneynutbsv Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! This is for a friend and I did tell her I've never done anything like it so it might not come close to what she wants, but she said that's ok, its good practice for you and I still get cake, lol. She's a great friend....I think she's just challenging me to do it.

disneynutbsv Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 7

oh and I got the bubble straws from bobas teas or boba teas??? It was a recommendation from a poster here on cc..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 7

There is a tutorial in the article section on stacking cakes.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 7

you need something to stick into yout cake to measure the height your straws need to be. ( like a sewing ruler) or you can use straw and mark it with a pen.

Use a non toxic pen to mark all of your straws and then snip them with a scissors. you can line them all up against a ruler to make sure they are the same height.

the above is for a reguler stacked cake, but for that box lid you willl need the straws to be taller to hold the lid up, of course.

HTH

disneynutbsv Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%