Baking By JudyDP Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm by manahigh

JudyDP Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:53am
post #1 of 10

I have used the NFSC recipe from CC twice. Once at Christmas and again at Valentines. It worked wonderfully! I am now making cookies that are in the shape of a number one that are approx. 7" high by 2" wide with a base of 3 1/2" wide for a little boys first birthday. I have made two batches and BOTH have puffed and spread at least 1/2". icon_cry.gif I am having to recut them about 2 minutes before they are done. I was told to leave the baking powder out and they would not spread. Will this make a cookie that is TOO hard? I want it to have a nice texture/crumb. Will the cookie be edible if I leave out the leavening? I have to make 45 of these and would appreciate an opinion. Thanks so much ahead of time!

9 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know about the baking powder, but chilling them will work wonders. Are you chilling the cut-outs before you bake?

JudyDP Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 10

I chill it before rolling.....chill it after rolling...take the chilled (almost frozen) cookie on the cold (almost frozen) cookie sheet and put it in oven, but thank you so much for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

MichelleM77 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 10

Hmph, then I'm stumped.

Happybug98 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:29am
post #5 of 10

I know that if you leave the baking powder out it will make the cookies very heavy. I was wondering if maybe your flour was self-rising? I know that could create ou a problem. Also are you using margarine or butter?

JudyDP Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you, both, for trying to help. I'm stumped, too! I'm using Hodgson Mill all purpose unbleached white flour and Sams unsweetened butter. icon_eek.gif I just simply don't understand. icon_sad.gif I hate the thought of not putting baking powder in them, but it seems like I have no choice. Once again, thank you for trying to help!

mgigglin Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:03pm
post #7 of 10

before I switched to NFSC I had a hard time with them swelling up like balloons. My friend who gave me the recipe said it was the flour. With the NFSC I dont roll them out in flour and add any extra at all and they don't swell or rise... could that be it? Good luck, I hope you find the answer because these cookies are the best!

manahigh Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 10

I have had my share of troubles with the NFSC. They either puff up or the cookies themselves are so crumbly that they break when I pick them up after spending all that time and effort decorating them. Add to that all the time rolling between parchment and chilling and I decided to find a different recipe. For Easter I used a butter cookie recipe. It is a very simple recipe, does not need to be chilled before rolling and cutting, keeps its shape while baking and tastes light and buttery. I covered them with Michele Fosters fondant while they were still hot and then added RI accents. Everyone loved the flavor. I am definitely staying with this recipe.

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Bake at 300 for 20 minutes

JudyDP Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 10

Once again..."Thank you" for your replies. OH YES...I didn't go into the whole thing, but the cookies ARE puffing up...spreading...breaking apart when I try to pick them up ever so gently! I simply DON'T understand. As I said, I have made batches and batches before, and this didn't happen. I am not adding any extra flour. I have rolled between parchment. They won't work! Yesterday, I made a batch of Toba Garrett's shortbread cookies. They, also, puffed, but I recut them in the oven about two minutes before they were done. At least when I pick them up they don't crumble and break apart in the middle. I have never used fondant, but have decided to now. I was going to use Marshmallow fondant. Manahigh, do you think that I need to cover them while they are warm? I need these on the 19 of April (19 days). How soon do you think that I could cover in fondant and they would still be "fresh"? I was going to bake and freeze the cookies, then decorate a couple of days ahead. Also, do you have experience with MMF. Is it better to use Michele Fosters. I really DON'T want anymore problems. I have to bake a Winnie the Pooh cake, also. Being a novice, I don't have a lot of confidence, and I want them to be a perfect and I can make them. Thank you for the recipe. If they don't break when you pick them up, I would like to use it, although the shortbread recipe does taste real good. Once again, "Thanks" for the help! thumbs_up.gif

manahigh Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 10

I read on CC about placing the fondant on the warm cookies so that it melts alittle and adhers to the cookie, otherwise you would need to use something else to make the fondant stick, as in using BC on cakes to make the fondant stay. I made my Easter cookies on Tuesday and kept them in an airtight container and they were great for Easter weekend. I have never made MMF as I don't really care for marshmellows but Michele's fondant is wonderful!! So easy to work with and I had no problems rolling out and cutting the cookie shapes. I am a novice too and found using the fondant so much easier than flooding the cookies with RI or glaze. It makes for a clean surface to do your decorating on. You just need to be careful not to touch the fondant once it starts to soften and before it cools and hardens again as this will mar the surface. I don't know if you can freeze the decorated cookies, because I am not sure how well fondant freezes. Maybe someone else can help with that question.
The cookies that I made with the butter recipe were very sturdy, not a single one broke and yet the cookies were tasty. The cookies are not real sweet which is good because the fondant adds alot of sweetness. I would recommend you use real butter not margarine. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%