Freezing Cakes

Decorating By CelebrationCakery Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm by crazy4sugar

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have never frozen any of my cakes...but I have a five tier wedding cake that I will be doing next month. I just need to know all there is to know so I can freeze them successfully....
How long can they be frozen for? Do I torte and fill before freezing? Crumb coat/frost? How do I wrap them? Any info will be great...Thank you so much!

2 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 3

I freeze a large number of the cakes that I do, including wedding cakes. After the cakes have cooled, I wrap them in one layer of Glad Press'n'Seal Freezer, then one layer of aluminum foil, making sure all openings are sealed. I do not torte, fill, or crumbcoat before I freeze. After they are all wrapped up, they can be stored in the freezer easily for 2-3 weeks with absolutely no change in quality or taste. The key is making sure they are wrapped properly so they don't get freezer burn or a funky taste.

Then, the night before I am going to assemble the cake, I take them out of the freezer and let them sit on the kitchen counter, still fully wrapped. This is important so the condensation accumulates on the OUTSIDE of the wrapping, not on the cake. By morning the cake is completely defrosted, and all the condensation will probably be gone, and the cake is ready to use. icon_smile.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 3

I freeze for up to 8 weeks and have no change in taste...actually they are more moist and sturdy.

Like Kelly says, wrap them well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%