Need Idea For Adoption Cake (China)

Decorating By dessertchic Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm by buttercreamkisses

dessertchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertchic Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 14

If anyone has any ideas for a Chinese adoption cake, please let me know. It is for a "shower" for a couple that is adopting a 3 year old from China. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 14

I'm really sorry no one has any ideas for youicon_sad.gif
Being the child is 3 I think you'd be safe still going w/something usually used for a baby shower.
Have you tried browsing the pix section of baby shower cakes?
I'll do some searching and see if I can come up w/something more......which I will add a bit later.
HTH

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 8:15am
post #3 of 14

For a child fresh out of China, just having a cake made for himself is an awesome thought. They don't get anything like that here....EVER
I send cakes home with my ayi when she goes back to her home village, her children are the only ones ever to get cakes. Unless the child comes from an affluent family, they don't get cakes period. Anything you do will be awesome

TeeBeeWee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeeBeeWee Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 9:00am
post #4 of 14

Maybe a panda bear? Bamboo (from chocolate sticks)

Or (I used it for my the girl next door from China, also adopted) maybe you translate some Chinese signs on babelfish http://babelfish.altavista.com/?

icon_smile.gif

dessertchic Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the ideas! I will just have to get creative with this one and see what I can come up with. Keep more ideas coming. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 14

Maybe you can find out what type of children's shows they might have there like we have dora and sesame street and do a character cake for her. Good luck.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 14

I was thinking that since the child is three years old, a cake for her would be nice. I like the idea of doing something the child likes.

I also thought of something like a family tree cake or maybe something like this cake below, showing the adopted child as part of the family.
LL

dessertchic Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for everyone's help! You all have some great ideas. I will keep checking this post for more ideas.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 14

You could make a toy chest filled with toys and candy spilling out. That would be a fantasy for most kids.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 14

I did cake squares in my pictures that was a combo baby shower (they were pregnant) adoption shower. The writing in each cake square ment Mother and Father in Chinese. Hope this helps

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 14

I don't know the specific story - but there is a 'red thread' story about the link that adopted children have with their families. So whatever the design - I would try to incorporate a red thread...you might be able to google for the story.

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #12 of 14
mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #13 of 14

I had a family adopt just last year and I created a cake with the symbols of love, family, happiness - air brushed on top of the cakes with bamboo borders airbrushed around the sheet cakes. Very simple but a big hit!

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 14

I'd incorporate a red thread and a ladybug-oooh maybe a ladybug themed cake. Both are often tied to children adopted from China. Here-I googled some info

"The Red Thread" is a symbolic saying very popular among families adopting from China. The Red Thread is an old Chinese saying that means when babies are born they are already connected to the important people in his/her life by a red thread. This thread can be twisted or stretched, but not
broken.

The Red Thread is an important symbol of being connected during the time that families wait for their referrals. Even during the time of paperwork chase, it gives families some feeling of connection that no matter what the red thread will not break.

The color âredâ in general is a popular color associated with Asian styles. Maybe that is why another symbol that adopting families talk about is the ladybug. On websites that offer personal adoption stories, it is common to see âthe red threadâ spoken about as well as stories of people seeing âladybugsâ as a sign of good luck.

âThe Red Threadâ means that people are already connected to the important people in their life by a red thread. It will continue to bond adoptive families to their baby girls waiting in China for now and for as long as it has to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%