Needing Encouragement

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 1 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm by mmgiles

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 14

I've been doing cakes for a little while and I'm just begining to get some wedding cake orders. I got two weddings (one last weekend and one this weekend) back to back and have been overwhelmed to say the least. I decided it was best to freeze all of the cakes as it is impossible for me to bake a day or two before since I have a full time job too. The pictures are of the cakes I delivered last weekend and this was the bride's response:
01 - Name (optional) =
02 - Please indicate the price range of your order. = $100-$200
03 - What was the occasion for your order = Wedding - Bride
04 - How would you rate your overall experience? = Somewhat Satisfied
05 - How would you rate the taste of your cake? = Neither Satisfied Nor Dissatisfied
06 - How would you rate the appearance of your cake? = Extremely Satisfied
07 - Would you recommend me to your friends or family? = Probably Would Recommend
08 - Please feel free to add any additional information you would like me to be aware of. = common complaint was that the cake tasted frozen. if you pre-bake the cake and freeze it, allow it to thaw more before setting it up to be served

Now usually my customers love everything, but I'm at a loss now. I've got to deliver a cake tomorrow that I froze. What did I do wrong? I wrapped the cake in multiple layers of syran wrap and foil before freezing. I thawed the cakes still wrapped.

Any suggestions.
LL

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 14

Some people are never satisfied with anything icon_sad.gif
How long did you let it defrost? You cannot take it out of the fzr, ice/decorate and deliver all w/in an hour or two.
You should be removing them from the fzr the night before or early am (before you go off to work) the day before you decorate.
Like bake, wrap & fz up to a month before. On Wed pm or Thur am for Sat order take cake out of fzr. That night fill, ice and maybe decorate or wait until next day to finsh.
Did you tell bride that you fz cakes? That might have given her the idea that it tasted fzn.
No need to discuss timetable w/bride.
If they don't know you fz they won't think it tastes frozen. Personally I don't like cold cake even if just out of refrig icon_sad.gif I want it room temp.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 14

Hmmmm...that is weird. Well, first of all your cake looks great and she was definitely satisfied with the appearance. And she did say she'd most likely recommend you to others.

It almost seems like she was saying people felt the cake was still frozen when it was served, which is almost impossible because cake thaws in about an hour and it would have taken you longer to decorate, much less transport to the site, set up, etc. That is strange to me that she'd say that.

I also freeze my cakes and I've never had a problem. How long are you keeping them frozen? It seems like you are wrapping them sufficiently to avoid getting freezer burn or anything like that. Are you freezing them in a freezer that has other foods in it so that maybe the cakes are absorbing odors from other food? That is the only think I can think of.

I'm fortunate to have an extra fridge in garage and I try to keep the freezer empty if I am freezing cakes and I keep 2 boxes of baking soda to help absorb any possible odors.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 14

sorry - double post

srs7874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srs7874 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 14

First of all, the cake looks beautiful - and for a price range of $100-$200 your bride should have been happy! As far as the taste goes, it sounds like they thought is still seemed frozen, not that it had freezer burn. Since I am sure the cake sat out for quite some time before it was served, I am not thinking that could be the problem. I would try not to worry too much about this. She didn't say she hated it - and even said she would probably recommend you to others. If you get this comment again, it is probably something to investigate further but, for now, I would put this behind you!

mmgiles Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 14

That's just it. I didnt tell her I would freeze it. It was frozen for a between a week and two weeks, in a seperate freezer that I only use for cakes. I took it out of the freezer Thursday before bed, set them all out to thaw, then I decorated Friday and Saturday. I delieved this cake for an evening wedding and an hour away. It should have been completely thawed.

I just dont get it.

I was thinking of staying and cutting the cake tomorrow, but now I'm afraid they will say the same thing. Plus she said the "common complaint" I mean did my cake really get that many complaints?

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 14

I do not bake cakes (except for fun) only cookies and I certainly have never worked with a bride (I'm too scared!) but would it be advantageous to you to actually speak with the bride to find out just how many people thought the cakes tasted "frozen?" Or is asking the bride point blank opening up a can of worms? I would see what the others on CC say about speaking to her before you even entertain my idea!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 14

I swear, there are some freezers that just make cakes taste frozen! We bought brand spanking new Stainless Steel appliances-very high end. So...the fridge my genious husband picked out is a side by side icon_smile.gif I have a commercial deep freeze that I store my cakes in and its great! I freeze like you do when the events are close in date and jam packed. Now...I made a smash cake and some cupcakes that wouldn't fit in the deep freeze. I stuck them in our 6 month old freeer. I pulled them out and just thought...i should pinch some off...just in case...and it tasted SO frozen and just off taste, definetely a freezer taste....they had been wrapped and covered and were in that freezer for 2 days, needless to say I rebaked that. Some freezers (especially with ice makers) just will throw off a freezer taste. I am not saying this is what happened but try this...stick a cupcake in that freezer today, taste it tomorrow. See if you get a suspicious taste, if so throw those other cakes away and consider purchasing a $200.00 mini deep freeze you could store in the garage! I wish you much luck. this can be so frustrating, but I know you want to figure that out...this might help. Some freezers are just wacky!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 14

I freeze all of my cakes (usually no more the a week or so) and I've never had a complaint. DH took a cake to work and one lady said "this is so good, I don't like the grocery store cakes because I can tell they have been frozen but I can tell this one is really fresh". DH looked at her and said "every cake I have ever brought in (and you have eaten) has been frozen". I wish I could have seen the look on her face.

I would be tempted to ask the bride if the cake was partially frozen. Maybe the venue put it in the freezer after you left. There's no way it could have been frozen when you delivered it.

mmgiles Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 14

cookieman, those are my thoughts exactly. What if I call her and she says everyone hated it. Then what? Do I offer a free cake for next time, some sort of refund? I not only did this cake for $200, drove it an hour away, but I did a groom's cake too that was very difficult. I know I always undercharge, and I dont mind what I charged, but I do want them to be happy. If my response on the phone isnt what she's expecting I dont want her to be angry and decide to take me to court. Especially since I'm not even baking legally yet. Of course like everyone I have plans to, but Its just not an option right now.

Man my head is spinning.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:01am
post #11 of 14

You made a wonderful cake and the bride got a great bargain. It could be that 2 people thought that the cake tasted frozen, and she heard about it. If you do call her back, I wouldn't ask any "suggestive" sort of questions. Perhaps just ask something like "Was the cake actually still frozen, or was it room temp, but taste like it had been frozen?" A cake can taste fine, even when frozen. I don't see how it could taste bad from what you've described. Maybe it just does need to thaw a little more before serving. I wouldn't offer a refund or a free cake. She didn't say she was DISsatisfied.

You've done a great job!!! Each cake is a learning experience. You'll never please everyone. Please don't be discouraged. Go forth and decorate your next cake boldly. icon_biggrin.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:03am
post #12 of 14

Do you know anyone else that attended the wedding? If so, you could very casually ask about thoughts on the cake. I deliver a cake every month to the local elementary school for the staff birthdays. Got a comment from the lady who always orders that "the teachers don't care for the regular icing" Huh??!! That's, honestly, the first time I've ever heard that. After a little poking around, found out that it's not "the teachers" it's her. One opinion, not many. That just may be the case here.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:40am
post #13 of 14

I will just say this......There are some folks that are never satisfied. You could make the bomb cake fresh as a daisy and there is always something. We call these people in my shop seekers. They seek to make you feel bad so that they can get something for free. I've been in biz for 10 years and I see it everyday. Oh the cake was dry I think you should give me a refund or my next cake at discount. Most of the time I do to because I'm a sucker! It's your rep. By the way your cake was lovely and I would have charged her in my shop at least 350.00. So she got a great cake for a great deal!!! Don't let her get you down!!!!!!

mmgiles Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 14

Well I havent heard anything yet about the cake I did this weekend. I didnt stick around to hear what the bride and groom had to say it was an outdoor wedding and they were running late because it was about to rain, and I just didnt want to be another bother for them. Their guests were gathering in the reception site instead of the ceremony site because of the rain, so most of their guests had already seen the cake and commented they liked it. So hopefully when they get back from their honeymoon they'll only have good things to say about the taste.
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%