Need Help - Those Of You From Florida

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm by rozdei

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,

I am going to be going to Ft Myers Florida in June for my cousins graduation party. My uncle has asked me to make his cake. I was wondering if they have Dominoes sugar, Duncan Hines Cake mixes, Crisco. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I knwo there are certain items you cannot get in Florida that we have in NY. Thanks fo the help in advance. I just hate to have all my stuff in a suitcase!!

Thanks!!

Angela

10 replies
fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Angela,
I live in Ocoee Florida and you all those are available here so she should be fine. thumbs_up.gif
Faye

angelcakes5 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks Faye I appreciate it! I know if I don't use Dominoes sugar my frosting just doesn't turn out right! I appreciate the help and thansk for the fast reply!!

Angela

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 11

You know Angela I use to swear by domino's but someone had told me to try the wal-mart/publix brand and I did and for me it works the same. I haven't had one complaint and it is alot cheaper. Good luck on the cake!
Faye

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 11

Hello Angela,

I live in Bradenton, FL, just north of Ft. Myers, if you can get your supplies at Walmart, they are alot cheaper than Publix (even though Publix is my favorite supermarket icon_smile.gif. You should be able to find everything.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcmulle

You know Angela I use to swear by domino's but someone had told me to try the wal-mart/publix brand and I did and for me it works the same. I haven't had one complaint and it is alot cheaper. Good luck on the cake!
Faye

Ditto! I have found no difference in Walmart/Kroger brand compared to Domino's.

We have a house in Ft. Myers and all my usual cake ingredients can be found in most grocery stores there.

Have a great trip!

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 11

angelcakes5,

There are some people who swear by Domino's sugar and there are some Florida people on this site that have posted on where to find Domino's...I don't think it's available all over Florida. You should ask your cousin (or his/her parents) if they have Domino's in their area. Crisco and Duncan Hines are available all over Florida.

Good luck!
~Julie~

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcakes5

Hello,

I am going to be going to Ft Myers Florida in June for my cousins graduation party. My uncle has asked me to make his cake. I was wondering if they have Dominoes sugar, Duncan Hines Cake mixes, Crisco. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I knwo there are certain items you cannot get in Florida that we have in NY. Thanks fo the help in advance. I just hate to have all my stuff in a suitcase!!

Thanks!!

Angela

Hello, Angela. Well you got a lot of replies already, but here goes mine too.

Yes to all three. Dominoes can also be found here, like Walmart, Winn Dixie and others.

But on some stores, even Publix, they are not selling 10x, 6x or 4x Powdered sugar anymore. Don't know why. Maybe where you are going, they still do.

I've been buying mine at Winn Dixie. If you can get it at Publix, their store brand is really good.

I have tried all powdered sugars and I don't see any difference.

Good luck!

icon_smile.gif

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 11

Hi, In St. Petersburg FL 1.5 hours north of Ft. Myers and all are available here.

The powdered sugar was in short supply after the Dixie plant blew up in georgia in Feb. But using the Sam's club or Walmart brand and it is the same here as the Dixie Crystal brand imo.

Biggest problem here is the heat and humidity. So adjust for that and make decorations way in advance and let dry.

angelcakes5 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 11

Wow thanks to all for the replies. I will check with my aunt who lives down there and see what she says. My mom was going to have her get all the stuff before I get there and then when I do I can start baking! Do any of you know if they have Viva papertowels too? I am trying to make a list of everything I will need and I totally forgot about the paper towels. Also names of any craft supply stores if I do need anything else?? Thank you all so much I really appreciate it.

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 11

angelcakes5,

Yes we do have Viva paper towels.

I would make a very specific list with brand names and amounts for them...you probably were already going to do this.

We have JoAnn's, Michael's and AC Moore. We only have a few Hobby Lobbys in the state. If you're looking for a particular store, I would go to their company site and put your aunt's zip code in, that way you're already know their location and get those coupons ready. If you're looking for an independent cake supply shop, I googled "Ft Myers, FL Cake Supplies" and found the following:

Chocolate Forest
4402 Del Prado Blvd S Cape Coral, FL 33904-7439
1.15 miles from the center of Fort Myers, FL
(239) 945-4949

Good luck and definitely post your pictures! icon_smile.gif

BTW, I put tips, couplers, dowel rods, decorator bags, etc as well buttercream (ziploc and then double-bagged in grocery bags) in my checked baggage from Orlando, FL to Boston, MA and it all turned out fine & they didn't open my luggage. I did travel in Oct, for reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%