Freezing & Thawing A Cake

Decorating By Beth02 Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:23pm by kakeladi

Beth02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beth02 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 3

I am throwing a baby shower on Sunday late afternoon. I have a ton going on so I baked the cakes yesterday. They are uncut and currently either wrapped in aluminum foil or covered in a cake tray. I have never frozen a cake before so I was hoping someone could help me out.

If I freeze them, should I wrap them in saran wrap? How long do they take to thaw? I have a deep 6" and 2 9x2 cakes.

Thanks for taking the time.

2 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, definitely wrap in some sort of plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer.

They thaw in no time - an hour is plenty. Cake doesn't take long to thaw at all. I know we are all used to meat that takes forever but I've thawed large layers for sheet cakes in an hour just sitting on the counter.

I freeze all the time because I need to be able to bake ahead of time and then I can focus on decorating in the day or two before the cake is needed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

Yes cake can be frozen. NO problems.
Just wrap in plastic wrap well - then into a plastic bag; push out all the air you can; now put that into a cake box or tubberwear type container.
It will be just fine - in fact probably better as the moisture will spread all thru the cake and any part that was not perfectly moist now will be.
If it is already decorated - put the cake in the freezer 1st for an hour or so before wrapping in plastic wrap. This will harden up any decorations and keep from smooshing them
DO NOT use foil to wrap the cake unless it has already been covered w/plastic wrap.

How long it takes to thaw depends on how big the cake is icon_smile.gif
For the 'average' 1 or 2 mix cake it probably will take about an hour.
For 14, or 16"ers -especially if 4" tall it could take 3-4 hrs.
Best to remove from fzr the night you need it; put in frig. Serve at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%