Base For A 3 Tiered Cake

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:29pm by daveilg

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hi to all havent been here in a while , im doing a 3 stacked square cake 2in thickfor july i thought a 12/10/8 then im doing a Square grooms cake in cho 12in
she has asked around 300 i know that this isnt enough cake so im making kitchen cakes, to serve she thinks that around 225 may show up, This is my delimiea i have heard about foam core boards if i use this for the stacked cake what could i cover it with her colors are pink hot pink and white, i thought about getting a piece of sating in pink and covering it up with that but would the icing damage the satin? then could i use plexi glass to protect the satin and still get the look ?? Thanks to all any ideals on other sized cakes would be helpful too i really dont want to tackle a 14 in square

5 replies
daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 6

You can use the satin but cover it with some sort of clear wrap like saran or, I like to use the clear cellophane used for wrapping easter baskets. Just make sure you clip it on the underside to get a flat bottom and it sits level. The foam core would be great as a base for this. Many people use wrapping paper in this same manor!!!

HTH
Dave

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveilg

You can use the satin but cover it with some sort of clear wrap like saran or, I like to use the clear cellophane used for wrapping easter baskets. Just make sure you clip it on the underside to get a flat bottom and it sits level. The foam core would be great as a base for this. Many people use wrapping paper in this same manor!!!

HTH
Dave

Thanks i may try to use a plexi glass on top of it not sure yet have you ever doubled the foam core?? to give it more height

daveilg Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

No I haven't had the need to, but you can. If you're looking for more height just go to your local craft store, i.e. Michaels or AC Moore and get a thicker piece of foam and wrap it as described. They sell florist's foam in several thicknesses so they should have what you want!

Dave

cakebaker1957 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveilg

No I haven't had the need to, but you can. If you're looking for more height just go to your local craft store, i.e. Michaels or AC Moore and get a thicker piece of foam and wrap it as described. They sell florist's foam in several thicknesses so they should have what you want!

Dave

Thank you for the info,

daveilg Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 6

You're quite welcome!

Dave

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%