Reposted!! Perishable Filling

Decorating By srs7874 Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 10:16am by loriemoms

srs7874 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

We just got an order for a cake that is pretty extensive. It will take us between 5 and 6 hours to complete. The customer wants a pastry cream filling. Do you think we need to worry about the filling spoiling while we decorate the cake? Do you guys use perishable fillings/frostings when you know the cake will sit out . . .like for a wedding?

My husband thinks I am nuts for worrying as he drinks milk left on the table overnighticon_eek.gif !

Thanks for the opinions!

6 replies
beachcakes Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 7

You're not nuts! I would be afraid to use a perishable filling that would sit out that long. Plus it will sit out at the party. IMO, why take a chance someone could get sick? That could open up a whole lot o' trouble.

Have you thought about the sleeve fillings? They make a bavarian cream that is similar to pastry cream. OK, it doesn't taste like the real thing - but it's a good alternative. It can sit out for days. Your local cake shop should carry it. Or if you can get Bettercreme or Pastry Pride, you should be able to make a vanilla mousse out of it.

puzzlegut Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 7

Could you please share the recipe for non-perishable vanilla mousse out of Bettercreme?

bcake1960 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 7

I used the Bavarian cream in the sleeve mixed with some pastry pride and it was very good! It was for my nieces wedding cake and got RAVE REVIEWS about how the cake and filling were sooooo gooood!
Give it a try.. I just added a big dollop of pastry pride to the Bavarian cream and it was like fluffy mousse.

CNCS Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 7

YES! The barvarian cream is soooo good.

I myself wouldnt use a perishable filling.

beachcakes Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

Could you please share the recipe for non-perishable vanilla mousse out of Bettercreme?

Well, I've never made it w/ Bettercreme b/c I have yet to find it here. But the original recipe is a small box of instant pudding to 2 cups heavy whipping cream.

I would still refrigerate it as much as possible even w/ bettercreme. But sitting out 5-6 hours at a wedding would be ok.

loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:16am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

I used the Bavarian cream in the sleeve mixed with some pastry pride and it was very good! It was for my nieces wedding cake and got RAVE REVIEWS about how the cake and filling were sooooo gooood!
Give it a try.. I just added a big dollop of pastry pride to the Bavarian cream and it was like fluffy mousse.

I cant get pastry pride here, but will that work with regular buttercream? I love the bavarian creme filling and never thought of making it into a mousse..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%