Cake Dummy Questions

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm by krazykat_14

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if there was anyway of putting mmf on a cake dummy without using icing underneath. Also, is it possible to reuse the fondant from one cake dummy to the next?

TIA!

5 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know myself, but I'd like to find out. My guess is no to both, but I'll defer to someone who knows for sure.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 6

I just did my first fondant dummies last week. On my first one, I used a buttercream layer first, when I put the fondant over the top, it was lumpy..

The next time I did it, I just wet my dummy with a little water, and then put the fondant over the top, worked like a dream!!! Looked beautiful!!

I've heard that some people cover their dummies with press'n seal, but it worked fine for me without it....

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 6

I use a very thin layer of shortening on my cake dummies. I have found that works better than just water.

teecakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teecakess Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6

a lot of people just use piping gel. or you could cover the dummy in plastic wrap, coat it in any kind of icing, cover it in fondant, and when you're ready to clean it. you just gotta peel the plastic wrap off. works everytime. the only problem is trying to get the plastic wrap on smooth so that no lumps show through the fondant.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 6

I would think a thin layer of jam would make the mmf stick to the plastic wrap pretty well if you don't want to use icing- some people/sites say that fondant is supposed to be attached to a cake with either icing or jam...

I don't think you can re-use the fondant, though- no matter what you use underneath- it would dry out and get hard while you're working with it, but then again, if you knead in a bit of shortening, it might bring it back around for a second try...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%