Covering Cardboard

Decorating By fabfour Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 7:20pm by tiptop57

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding coming up that is 125 3 inch mini cakes. I'm stuck on what to put them on. I was thinking of getting cardboard from our recycle center in town since it would be free. What have you all covered them with? I want them to be covered in something white and elegant.
Thanks

6 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 7

I'd buy a roll of Wilton foil because you would be able to use your Michael's 40% off coupon so not too expense and it is food grade quality. (Thus less prone to allergies and reactions.) You would be safer.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 7

heck- I'm stuck on the "125" !!! AAACCCKK! icon_eek.gif

Just curious as to how you do them: cut sheet cakes? mini pans? poured fondant? iced? regular/mmf fondant?

How "involved" with decorating them do you get?

I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to start offering these to my clients...

Please post a picutre when you are done!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 7

I use white freezer paper. What about that with a doilly (sp).

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

I have these little pans from Wilton they are 3 1/4 inch I think (the package says they are bigger but not once baked) they come 3 to a pack. I am using those, I have 9 pans and put them in a jelly roll pan to bake. They are 1 layer iced in buttercream with a mmf rose in the middle.

I did a trial run, I was able to ice 9 in 15 minutes. I didn't think that was too bad.

I thought about freezer paper because that is what I use for regular cakes but with it being round I have a hard time getting a perfect circle.

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 7

Why not cut your cardboards into squares. You can get a nice edge to them. I do that often when I'm working with cakes the are sculpted or round. As long as you use either the wilton foil, contact paper or somthing nice as your cover it's okay if the board isn't the same shape as the cake.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 7

If this is a Elegant wedding as stated, I would not go on the cheap! Use real foil paper and look for some cake boards your correct size even if online. The tables will look much nicer that way. Although you could do freezer paper and squares as have been suggested and which would work nicely, I don't think it will say elegant as you desire.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%