5 Quick Questions

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm by CNCS

Antgirl Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 4

I have an order for my first square wedding cake and have the following questions:
1. Is there a supplier of square cake cardboards? If not,what do you do for supporting each tier in a stacked square cake where you don't want separator plates to show? Cut your own?

2. My client wants 4 tiers and she will either have it serve 150 or 200. What sizes would you make the tiers? I know that 14/10/8/6 would serve 200, but this is not symmetrical. Do you think that would be aesthetically unappealing? And what about 4 square tiers for 150? Would I have to use a dummy tier?

3. She wants real ribbon around the base of each tier. For 4" high tiers, what width would you use? I was thinking 1", but would that be too wide?

4. Any tips for applying ribbon when using non-crusting SMBC icing? Or applying ribbon in general? I have not used real ribbon on a cake before. Do they simply remove it before the bride and groom cut the cake?

5. Any tips for swiss dots I should know about?

Thanks in advance for all your help! The participants on this website are a wealth of knowledge!!

Best to you all,
Susan

3 replies
JenniferL Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! Hopefully, I'm no cake expert, but I have done a tiered square cake. I bought my bottom cake board and separator plates at countrykitchensa.com. I bought the separator plates to just the size of the cakes so that when they were iced and the ribbon boarder was applied, you couldn't see them. The other option is cut your own in a double thickness and wrap them well so that they don't get damp and buckle. I think I did a 14/12/10/8 and it looked pretty good. It was my first time applying ribbon too. 1" shouldn't be too big. If you get it on and think it's too big, you could add an icing border around the bottom. The problem that I encountered was not allowing enough time to add the ribbon. I did it on site and was in a hurry. Next time I would give myself more time so that I could get it on better. The corners were the hardest. They will remove the ribbon before serving the cake. I think I used a floral pin (and made sure to tell the servers) to hold mine in place, but you could use royal icing.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck!!!

kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 4

<... Is there a supplier of square cake cardboards>
I was lucky in that a pizza house next door used sq boards & I got all of mine them themicon_smile.gif I realize not many pizza places use sqs & others will not give/sell you any. Then you can cut them from a full sheet OR use foamcore boards.
<...I know that 14/10/8/6 would serve 200...>
This will look fine. For fewer servings leave the top tier off. Also let the bride know you probably will NOT be able to give her the exact # of servings so she can decide what # *she* want to go with.
<...real ribbon around the base of each tier. For 4" high tiers...was thinking 1"...>
That should be just right icon_smile.gif
<...tips for swiss dots?...>
Just be sure to squeeze, stop pressure, count to 2 before lifting bag away so you don't have 'tips' on your dots. If you do get some, let them crust up some, dip your finger in powder sugar or cornstarch and dab those tips away.

CNCS Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 4

Decopac has some square boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%