Edible Image Question / Help

Decorating By melliemelo Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 5:42pm by melliemelo

melliemelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melliemelo Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am making a cake with my first edible image today. My main question is how soon can I put it on the cake?? Will something go wrong if I put it on too early...? It is for a birthday party at 2pm Saturday. I would like to put it on today (Friday morning), so that it has time to meld with the icing in case I need to add a border around the edge.

I've read different things about putting it in the freezer to help peel it off the paper. Does anyone use this technique and does it make a difference? I'm worried it will be stuck or tear in pieces...!! icon_redface.gif

Any other suggestions on working with an edible image would be appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm terrified I'm going to mess it up and my cake will be ruined!

5 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 6

I never had to put mine in the freezer for them to come off the backing. If your house is above 80 degrees you may need to. My hubby keeps our house very cold all the time icon_lol.gif Just start peeling it off slowly from the corner and if there is any resistance then put it in the freezer for about 5 to 10 minutes.

I always have put mine on the day before with no problems. You can put the border on almost as soon as you put the image down.

If your icing crusts you may need to brush the back with piping gel a very thin coat just to help it stick to the buttercream. If you have a no crust icing just lay it down and gently smooth it down with a fondant smoother or your hand, but don't press to hard so you won't make indentions from your fingers on it.

Good luck and make sure you post pics.

melliemelo Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the tips!!!! much appreciated!!! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 6

pjaycakes said:
If your icing crusts you may need to brush the back with piping gel a very thin coat just to help it stick to the buttercream

Icing/frosting sheets (fs) are very, very delicate. Insteading of trying to brush the back of it just use a spray mister *on the cake* if your icing has crusted. I usually keep simple syrup in the spray bottle and use that but if for any reason I can't find the mister just lay a damp paper towel on the cake for a few seconds. If it is fondant, then be sure it is the same size/shape as the fs.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 6

Kakeladi is right, the water would be better. I use piping gel on small ones, but if yours is large you might run the risk of it tearing, trying to flip it over twice. icon_wink.gif

kakeladi - Where do you get your frosting sheets? The ones I get are very thick and when I remove them from the backing they hardly bend at all. I keep hearing people talk about them being fragile, so maybe I'm buying different kinds or something. Just curious.

melliemelo Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks SO much for all the wonderful help!!!!!

I just put the image on my cake. Super easy!! It wouldn't come off the backing though. So I popped it in the freezer for 30 seconds and it came right off. Probably has a lot to do with the high humidity today. I still have to put the finishing touches on it but I'll try to post a pic when it's done.

Thanks again ladies!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%