Problem With Royal Icing

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:40pm by TexasSugar

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 8

I made cupcake and iced half of them, with buttercream, last night. I put the letter "K", made out of royal icing, on the top of each one. Got up this morning to finish and found out half of my letters have deteriorated. I stood them up on top and they have fallen and broken into.

Anyone have any clues why this happened and what I can do to keep it from happening again? They were stored in a cupcake box.

Thanks!

7 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 8

Your buttercream was more than likely the problem. Royal is very sensitive to oil. Did you let your letters dry really well before placing them on the cupcake or did you pipe them onto the cupcake? You can put dry royal on buttercream and it be safe for a short period of time - maybe 24 hrs (not sure about how long).

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 8

I piped the letters about a week in advance.

You have been very helpful! Thank you very much!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with mcalhoun that maybe they weren't dry?? and that the bc may have affected them. Also if you don't beat the RI for the right amount of time it will 'melt'.

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 8

I have heard of the shortening breaking down the royal icing. I made some cupcakes last weekend where I put royal icing flowers on top of buttercream. The flowers had been in my fridge for several months. Four days after I made the cupcakes, the flowers still had not broken down.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

Grease is RI worst enemy, that's all it happened, no matter how much you let it dry. try making the letters in gumpaste or cover your cupcakes in fondant then ad a fondant or a RI letter
a fondant cup cake with fondant letter is on my pictures

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdecorating

I made cupcake and iced half of them, with buttercream, last night. I put the letter "K", made out of royal icing, on the top of each one. Got up this morning to finish and found out half of my letters have deteriorated. I stood them up on top and they have fallen and broken into.

Anyone have any clues why this happened and what I can do to keep it from happening again? They were stored in a cupcake box.

Thanks!

This can happen. The monogram is a small piece, and more susceptable to the buttercream than larger items such as flowers. You probably did nothing wrong. Next time, place the monogram on at the last possible moment, or better yet.... make it out of white chocolate and you won't have to worry.... hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

It could also be from the moisture in the icing. Moisture will break down the royal icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%