Anyone Else Have To Chase Down Their Clients For Approval?

Business By yummymummy Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm by yummymummy

yummymummy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 8

I have 3 cakes coming up...all due May 4th, 18th, and June 1st. I've emailed all of them w/ designs and explained that the sooner they get back to me, the better the cake will be. (one of the cakes has about 60-70 gp roses that I have to make!) And no one is getting back to me. Is this the norm? I mean...do they think I can just whip up a gorgeous cake in 2 days? Any suggestions? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Doug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 8

1) yes, in this day and age of the WalMart/warehouse club/grocery store cake they DO believe you just whip them up in a few minutes. After all that's what they see happen at those places.

2) Set a SPECIFIC deadline -- not get "get back to me ASAP" Tell them "if I do not hear back from you be 3:00PM on Friday, <date>, your order will be canceled. Please call me at xxx-xxxx by then to ensure your order is completed. This is the ONLY notice you will receive."

Then set the date at least TWO Fridays (at least a full 14-15 days) before the event.

awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 8

Excellent advice Doug!

indydebi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 8

Yeah, what Doug said!!

I use the phrase, "If I do not hear from you by ------, then I will assume you have canceled this order and made other arrangements."

This puts the responsibility of canceling the order on THEM. *I* didn't cancel the order ..... *YOU* canceled the order by not getting back to me.

yummymummy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 8

Excellent advice! Thanks everyone...my business is finally taking off a bit, but people can be so clueless! how hard is it to drop me a line and say "yes" or "no" to something? icon_mad.gif AARRGGHH! I'll make sure to pass on your advice to my customers! thumbs_up.gif

2sdae Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 8

People really are clueless to what it takes us to make and decorate and prepare to do these things.
I have had to tell people how many hours I have spent practicing just to be able to try to do something right, they are baffled by that.
I remind them, how did you learn to walk? By trial and error, this is no different except you can eat your mistakes.......unless your just dang awesome like our own indydedi here! icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

But I do also require a completed and detailed description of said cake and all that is involved no later than 17 days ahead of said order date for completion or "they", the customer is said to have canceled their own order by not solidifying their wants and needs to me in a timely manner, my time, not theirs. thumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 8

[code:1:d9601ea1b8] Set a SPECIFIC deadline -- not get "get back to me ASAP" Tell them "if I do not hear back from you be 3:00PM on Friday, <date>, your order will be canceled. Please call me at xxx-xxxx by then to ensure your order is completed. This is the ONLY notice you will receive."

This works beautifully and quickly too. Last month, my cousin ordered a cake for 175 for her mother's 90th. After leaving several messages, I finally left one on a Friday a.m. that if I didn't hear from her by noon on Saturday, I wouldn't be able to do the cake for the next week. I had a return phone call in less than 3 hours. It was also liberating for me.
[/code:1:d9601ea1b8]

yummymummy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 8

Well, someone finally responded to me! Confirmed the design and price. Woo Hoo! I will be sending said message to the next person by the end of the day. I guess I'm not use to having my own business yet. Time to put on my indydebi face and tell 'em like it is! icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%