American Products = What Australian Products

Decorating By nickers7879 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 1:45pm by Kiddiekakes

nickers7879 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:02am
post #1 of 3

So i am attempting to bake my first cake.
i have a Wilton Elmo tin.

to make the icing it says:

Vegetable shortening i have not heard of this before. Is our equivalant Copha?

Confectioners sugar. Again not heard of it. would our equivalant be "pure icing sugar"?

clear vanilla extract. Is this Vanilla ecense? i havent seen it clear before, can we get it in oz?

sorry to sound like a dummy im new to all of this world of cake making!

2 replies
AlanT Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 3

I wish I could help you on this one. I suggest you post this to one of the help forums and I am sure someone from Australia can help you. Confectioners sugar is powdered sugar. Check your Copha and see if is made of all vegetable fats. Some brands have animal fats that are suitable for cooking but not for making icing. Vanilla essence would be fairly equivalent to vanilla extract. The extract will have more alcohol in it and may require more than using essence. Clear vanilla is imitation flavoring. It may not be available where you live. Alan

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 3

nickers....yes...confectioner sugar is pure icing sugar....clear vanilla extract is made by some companies so that when you make white icing it doesn't turn ivory from the brown extract.I use clear vanilla.Vegetable shortening is the white greasy lard,fat what ever they call it there to bake with and make pie crust and doughs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%