Does Anyone Cool Their Cakes In The Pan?

Decorating By Win Updated 1 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm by MissRobin

Win Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 10

IF I can rely on my faulty memory, about six months ago I was reading a Colette Peters book which I think said she cools her cakes in their pans. Not just the ten minute rest period, but the whole cooling down process. Does anyone else do this, and if you do, what is the benefit? And, just in case Colette should ever look to CC for inspiration, please let me say in advance that I think that's where I read it, and please forgive me if I'm wrong. icon_wink.gif

9 replies
tippyad Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:47am
post #2 of 10

I only allow for the 10 minute rest period in the pan. But I'd like to know too...

kaecakes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:51am
post #3 of 10

I have left my cakes in the pan to cool completely, but I pop them within 10 -15 minutes after coming out of the oven. The only thing I have found is that sometimes they tend to be wet when I take them out of the pans. So then you my have to let them dry out some before icing the cakes.

bashini Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 10:17am
post #4 of 10

Hi, I do the same thing as kaecakes does. I keep the cake in the pan only for 10-15 minutes. Then I turn the cake on to a wire rack and let it cool completely. I too have experienced wet at the bottm of the cake if I let it cool in the pan.

hwnhulahands Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 10:36am
post #5 of 10

If I have the time, I will let them cool in the pan but I noticed that there are times that it comes out perfect but there are other times where some of the cake is left on the bottom of the pan. I grease and flour my pans very very well. I don't know why, I guess when it cools, it shrinks slightly and it'll dry to whatever it can on the bottom of the pan and breaks off when I flip it over. Maybe I'm doing somehting wrong, I don't know. But that's what happens to me--especially for the bigger cakes.

bashini Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 10:40am
post #6 of 10

I use to grease and flour my pans. but I don't do it anymore. I use grease proof paper/wax paper ( what ever you call it ) to line my pans. And the cake comes out without any trouble at all.

lauramw71 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 10

I only let it cool for 10 mins also. I thought if you let it cool completely in the pan the grease you used also solidifys making the cake stick stronger to the pan. If I let it cool completely, then it breaks when I try to take it out.

oliveoyle Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 10

I have cooled my cakes in the pan with no adverse effects, but I always loosen them when I pull them from the oven, if that makes any sence

c420 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:59am
post #9 of 10

At a bakery I worked at we always left cakes in the pan to cool all the way. It was different than I had learned but we never had problems. We only used pan spray no flour so I went along with it. Now I don't usually leave them but sometimes do because I get busy.

MissRobin Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, I have cooled my big 16" cakes in the pan, even refrigerated while in the pan, you did read that in Collette Peters, because that is where I got the suggestion. I had no problems at all with it, once you turn it over it takes a minute for it to release, don't panic. Anyway, I was leary of it when I read it but it works, I found it to be helpful with the bigger tiers.
BTW, I only grease and use parchment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%