What To Doctor Red Velvet Mix With? :)

Baking By MeMo07 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:04am by michellenj

MeMo07 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time posting (after lurking for weeks!), so, I hope I'm in the right spot- LOL.

I tried searching, but half the ones I tried to open wouldn't work, so I'm sorry if it's been asked a million times. icon_smile.gif

I have 3 boxes of red velvet cake mix- I'm going to be making a stacked sheet cake for my grandfathers birthday, and I want it to be fabulous, but I'm way too scared to try the cake from scratch- and I don't have time to experiment, since his birthday is Saturday! (And I was just informed I would be making the cake, since I've just now started trying to make cakes! icon_smile.gif)

So, to wind this rambling post down, I've got vanilla pudding, chocolate pudding, cheesecake pudding, and some cream cheese- would any of these enhance the recipe? I've also got milk, sour cream, oil, and applesauce, any of which I could add in.

5 replies
sarahnichole975 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

When I make mine from the box I use buttermilk as the scratch recipe calls for it. Since you don't have buttermilk, I searched and found these substitutions for buttermilk for you. Hope it helps.

⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water PLUS 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk
(reconstitute before using or add dry to dry ingredients and wet to wet ingredients before mixing
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1/4 cup milk PLUS 3/4 cup yogurt

craftyone65 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 6

I love the White Almond Sour Cream cake and if I want something different then white I substitute. Like I used that receipe for a chocolate cake and followed the recipe but changed the boxed mix and used 6 whole eggs instead of 8 egg whites. I think that recipe is great, moist and it makes alot.

buzymom1975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

When I make mine from the box I use buttermilk as the scratch recipe calls for it. Since you don't have buttermilk, I searched and found these substitutions for buttermilk for you. Hope it helps.

⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water PLUS 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk
(reconstitute before using or add dry to dry ingredients and wet to wet ingredients before mixing
⢠1 cup buttermilk = 1/4 cup milk PLUS 3/4 cup yogurt

I find that if I am baking a cake that calls for buttermilk, the lemon juice actually is better than the vinegar. JMHO, not fact, or law...lol

TexasSugar Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #5 of 6

When I doctor a Red Velvet cake mix I will add an extra egg and the package of chocolate pudding. If i have buttermilk on hand I will use that in place of the water.

michellenj Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:04am
post #6 of 6

The "Cake Mix Doctor" uses:

1 box German Chocolate cake mix WITH pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup veg oil
1 -1 oz. bottle red food coloring
3 large eggs
1 teasp. vanilla

Sometimes I'll throw in a cup of mini chocolate chips. Hope that helps!

Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%