Last Minute Cancellation Can I Freeze?

Decorating By vickster Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm by vickster

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

I did a shower cake for a friend, got it all decorated, but the party has to be postponed due to illness. Can I freeze it? What's the procedure? Will it do much to the quality? I've never tried freezing a cake.

4 replies
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:51am
post #2 of 5

I got a call last week from a friend of my SIL and she wanted a wedding cake in June. She wanted to see my portfolio to see more cakes than on my website so on Mon I set up with her to come to my house on Fri (had to be this week because after next week she'll be in school and it will be more difficult to meet) and do a cake tasting and see my portfolio.

I emailed her on Tues to confirm for 4. She emailed back asking if 5 would be better - no problem. So I got to thinking that to make it more convenient for her, I would meet her 1/2 way at a Starbucks (I live 1-1 1/2hr away from her), please call me if this would be ok. No Response icon_confused.gif On Wed I bake a batch of white, choc and lemon cupcakes. I'll take some to her and then I'll send the rest to work with dh. No problem. I planned on coming home tonite and decorate them and have them ready to go after work tomorrow.

Check my emails this afternoon and she finally responded that they are going with someone closer to home. "Thanks for getting in touch with me"

icon_mad.gif UGHHHHHHHHH! The least she could have done was gotten back to me sooner.

Now dh gets alot more cupcakes for work.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Barb

vickster Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:09am
post #3 of 5

This was partly my fault. I had said I'd give a call to confirm and didn't. But still would like to salvage this cake if I can. Any help would be appreciated.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5

Yes cake can be frozen. NO problems.
Just wrap in plastic wrap well - then into a plastic bag; push out all the air you can; now put that into a cake box or tubberwear type container.
It will be just fine - in fact probably better as the moisture will spread all thru the cake and any part that was not perfectly moist now will be.
If it is already decorated - put the cake in the freezer 1st for an hour or so before wrapping in plastic wrap. This will harden up any decorations and keep from smooshing them
DO NOT use foil to wrap the cake unless it has already been covered w/plastic wrap.

vickster Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, kakeladi. Saw your post too late. Hubby and I just split it and each took half to work and shared it. Fortunately, it was one of those few cakes that everything went just as it should and it didn't take me that long to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%